Snail Identity

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Hill Dweller, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

IMG_2786.JPGIMG_2777.JPG Hi there! I got some hitchhiker snails in the tank and wonder if anyone can help ID them? If they are pests I need to fish them out before they grow big enough to reproduce!

One is in a slightly elongated shell. Not round like my mystery snail and not cone shaped like a trumpet snail. It's in between.

The other is in a quite flat shell, sort of coin shaped.

Might be hard to tell when they are still very small like this!

Maybe I should stick them in the Betta cube I have for emergencies until they grow some more?

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

The first one looks like a bladder snail and the second one is a ramshorn. They are considered pests, but some people like them.

Edit: It looks like the bladder snail already laid an egg sack on the driftwood O_O

3. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

Crikey! You are right! I just got out the magnifying glass and there are tiny clear eggs there! You are very eagle eyed!!

Right, I'm not playing nice now, all snails are coming out when I spot them now!

4. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

I recently added some of both to a 10g tank. I like bladder snails. But those ramshorns started eating my ozelot sword!

So when I collect ones I find, they go to the predator tank. My sunfish love snails

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You shouldnt have a problem with them overunning your tank if you keep your tank clean. Ive always had bladder and mts in my tanks and have never had a problem

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice