Snail Identity

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Hill Dweller, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

IMG_2786.JPGIMG_2777.JPG Hi there! I got some hitchhiker snails in the tank and wonder if anyone can help ID them? If they are pests I need to fish them out before they grow big enough to reproduce!

One is in a slightly elongated shell. Not round like my mystery snail and not cone shaped like a trumpet snail. It's in between.

The other is in a quite flat shell, sort of coin shaped.

Might be hard to tell when they are still very small like this!

Maybe I should stick them in the Betta cube I have for emergencies until they grow some more?

2. oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

The first one looks like a bladder snail and the second one is a ramshorn. They are considered pests, but some people like them.

Edit: It looks like the bladder snail already laid an egg sack on the driftwood O_O

3. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

Crikey! You are right! I just got out the magnifying glass and there are tiny clear eggs there! You are very eagle eyed!!

Right, I'm not playing nice now, all snails are coming out when I spot them now!

4. oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

I recently added some of both to a 10g tank. I like bladder snails. But those ramshorns started eating my ozelot sword!

So when I collect ones I find, they go to the predator tank. My sunfish love snails

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You shouldnt have a problem with them overunning your tank if you keep your tank clean. Ive always had bladder and mts in my tanks and have never had a problem