Snail ID

Lauryn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone, as much as I have tried to avoid any snails in my tank 1 has managed to get through and I have no idea how :(. Can anyone tell me what type of snail this is.

2/11 - last time I added a new plant
27/12 - added 4 ottos

Attachments

Yyot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you get a better picture? I’ve had some critters sneak in marimo balls like the one you have in the pic

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a Ramshorn. As long as you don't over feed your tank their population will stay in check and even be beneficial for your tank.

Yyot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you get a better picture? I’ve had some critters sneak in marimo balls like the one you have in the pic

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, it's a ramshorn. Rather them than bladders. They breed slower i find and dont explode as badly. They clean up a lot of plant debris too

Lauryn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yyot said:
The little bugger has moved and is now in hiding

Lauryn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
toeknee said:
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a Ramshorn. As long as you don't over feed your tank their population will stay in check and even be beneficial for your tank.
Thanks for clarifying, I just read up on them and saw the benefits, but I'm in the camp of people who do not like snails and don't want them in the tank. I tried so hard to avoid this, because I can't crush and kill so I'll have to live with it.
Oh I also just read that they are hermaphrodites and can reproduce by themselves :woot:

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at him hes a Dwarf Ramshorn and wont get any bigger but will multiply

CrazyCatChick

Reaction score
I would say it is probably a ramshorn snail. The larger ramshorns have shells that "stick up" and do not lay flat against the glass/substrate. The dwarf/mini ramshorns will have shells that lay flat against the surface. At least, that is how I have been told to tell a mini ramshorn from a baby "big" ramshorn. I only have the dwarf variety so I can't tell from personal experience....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom