Snail ID

Lauryn

HI everyone, as much as I have tried to avoid any snails in my tank 1 has managed to get through and I have no idea how . Can anyone tell me what type of snail this is.

2/11 - last time I added a new plant
27/12 - added 4 ottos

Yyot

Can you get a better picture? I’ve had some critters sneak in marimo balls like the one you have in the pic

toeknee

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a Ramshorn. As long as you don't over feed your tank their population will stay in check and even be beneficial for your tank.

Yyot

Can you get a better picture? I’ve had some critters sneak in marimo balls like the one you have in the pic

StarGirl

MissNoodle

Yup, it's a ramshorn. Rather them than bladders. They breed slower I find and don't explode as badly. They clean up a lot of plant debris too

Lauryn

Yyot said:
The little bugger has moved and is now in hiding

Lauryn

toeknee said:
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a Ramshorn. As long as you don't over feed your tank their population will stay in check and even be beneficial for your tank.
Thanks for clarifying, I just read up on them and saw the benefits, but I'm in the camp of people who do not like snails and don't want them in the tank. I tried so hard to avoid this, because I can't crush and kill so I'll have to live with it.
Oh I also just read that they are hermaphrodites and can reproduce by themselves

richiep

Looking at him hes a Dwarf Ramshorn and won't get any bigger but will multiply

CrazyCatChick

I would say it is probably a ramshorn snail. The larger ramshorns have shells that "stick up" and do not lay flat against the glass/substrate. The dwarf/minI ramshorns will have shells that lay flat against the surface. At least, that is how I have been told to tell a minI ramshorn from a baby "big" ramshorn. I only have the dwarf variety so I can't tell from personal experience....

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom