Snail ID?

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I got some plants a few days ago and there were some snails on the plants. I'm not really sure what kind of snails they are. At first I thought they were Ramshorn snails but they look different. What do you guys think? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405972889.478462.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405972985.491810.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405973023.188509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. stargazerwolf Member Member

Pond/bladder snails ;) The most common kind

3. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thank you

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yep that is a pond snail, can be somewhat of a nuisance to get rid of as they are hermaphroditic and can reproduce with a single snail!

:;snail = :;snail:;snail:;snail:;snail:;snail:;snail:;snail

5. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yes I agree. They already have a few batch of eggs.

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

An easy way to thin the population is feed your fish a little less. They survive on scraps that hit the bottom. If you have zucchini put a slice in there at night, and when you turn the light on there should be quite a few snails on the piece. Just toss it in the trash. I went from having probably about 50 snails to 0 in a month or so.

7. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Well I just have the snails in a 10 gallon tank with just shrimp. I feed them like every 2 days or so.

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Ah I understand, most chemicals that would kill off the snails then too would kill your shrimp. May just have to remove by hand! Hope it gets better before it gets worse! I haven't had problems with it but if you run a HOB filter they may get into it and break your filter.