Snail ID

Discussion in 'Snails' started by slimeneo, Jan 6, 2013.

1. slimeneo

slimeneoValued MemberMember

Sorry the picture is blurry, my phone doesn't like to focus on the teeny snail. (sort of next to the marimo ball, on the glass. has a spiral shell) What kind of snail is it? It might have come from my pond because I put a stone from my pond in my aquarium... is it dangerous? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

ramshorn snail. commonly seen in aquariums, they hitch rides on plants from the petstore but can also be in ponds and others such bodies of water. not harmful to tank inhabititants, not sure on plants though.

3. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Thank you! :)

4. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

happy to help :)

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

ramshorns are harmless to healthy plants, i don't mind seeing them around the aquarium. They do not explode in numbers as much as pond/bladder snails do.

6. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

That's good to know. So they are able to multiply, even with 1 of them? I have only seen one. Maybe there was only 1 egg on the rock.

7. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Yes they can breed alone. But like solt said they are not a quick as ponds etc. Just as long as you are not over feeding you should be fine. If you do want to keep a good handle on them, I am pretty sure they lay the clear egg sacs. You can destroy them upon finding them if you dont want any babies.

8. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Okay, thanks so much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice