Snail Id Please

1. Distortionist Member Member

I got a couple of hitchhiker baby snails form plants I got. I would love to put them in my aquarium but I worry about them multiplying out of control and also them eating my plants. Can someone try to I'd these and tell me if it's ok to keep in my 5 gallon heavily planted betta tank.

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

You've got bladder snails (the annoyingly fast breeding, plant eating ones), so best to not put them in your tank if you don't want to (bladders have sinistral or left pointed shells, thinner antennae, and stay tiny...pond snails are the opposite) ! Also, double check your plants for any snail eggs

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Distortionist Member Member

I Did find a couple of black looking eggs. I got rid of them but now I'm worried. The plants are already in the tank and I'm not sure I know what I am looking for. I cleaned the plants and don't think I left non plant stuff behind. If I get a snail problem how do I control It?

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

the snail egg sacs look like little whitish specks in a clear jelly, and theyre about the size of your pinky fingernail. If you do find snails, remove them immediately...if you find yourself overrun or with more than you like, you can set up a snail trap (which is just the top of a plastic water bottle cut off and inverted into the bottom portion, and fill the bottle with some blanched veggies (like zucchini) or leafy vegetables (like lettuce, a favorite of those guys)

5. toolman Well Known Member Member

Don't overfeed, then you can trap them if you want. Use a piece of lettuce, cucumber, or zucchini, just drop them in then take it out when they flock to it. Many do this at night and take it out in a. m.

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

oops sorry! It posted without me...heres the rest of it:

Add some gravel or rocks to weigh it down and put it in your tank and leave it in there for a couple of hours. Soon, the snails will trap themselves in the bottle and can remove the bottle and do with the snails as you please. you may have to repeat, but its a chemical free way of controlling/eradicating them

7. Distortionist Member Member

Awesome guys. Thank you very much.