Snail ID please

Discussion in 'Snails' started by kinezumi89, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

After adding some plants to a tank, I suddenly have a small army of snails. I'm not too upset (yet) because there was a fair amount of algae and they seem to be helping, but I would like to know what kinds they are.

The first one is the same shape as my nerite - round with a point on one end. The second one is flat and spiral-shaped. (They're kind of hard to see in the pictures, especially the second one.)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

First one is what I call a Pond Snail. Second one looks like a Rams horn.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

That was fast! Are either of them known for eating algae? Now that I have a shrimp tank not filled with ravenous shrimp, I'd like to move a few over to help with the algae. There's a zillion of the pond snails, but I've only seen a few of the rams horns, and they don't really seem to be getting bigger.

Edit: Also, if anyone knows the proper name for pond snails (though I've heard them called that too) that would help, so I can look up some information on them.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

They both will turn into 4 bazillion-million-gillion soon, if you don't keep up on proper feeding and water changes.

5. Brainlady

BrainladyWell Known MemberMember

Rams-Horn snails are very pretty..... but before long they can cause an infestation. I had one or two in a 55 gallon tank. No problem. Then it seemed I had over one hundred. I had to buy Assassin snails and kill dozens of Rams Horns myself before the infestation cleared up. I am so wary of snails now that the only one's I have in my tank are Apple Snails. I have some Assassin snails that reproduced and when they number about 10 I take them to my LFS for store credit. As stated above, if you do not mange them they will multiply into a gazzillion-billion-quadruple-trillion....... then it is a problem.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

How disappointing! The gravel is noticeably less algae-y. I normally only feed as many pellets as the fish will eat (easy now, since there aren't many fish in there yet) but since one of my fish doesn't seem to understand feeding time, I've been letting some sink to the gravel in hopes he'll eat them later.

I moved one of the pond snails to my shrimp tank with ghosts, and he was (unfortunately) eaten within a few hours. I've since moved the ghosts to the tank with the snail problem (to make room for my RCS from ZeeZ), so maybe they'll take care of the smaller snails.

I was so deliberate in examining the hornwort for snails, too...shoot. I guess I have an arduous task ahead of me. I've heard of people dropping in a cucumber/zucchini slice and removing it once it's covered in snails; I may try that. That, in addition to picking out any visible ones; hopefully I had nip this problem in the bud before I have an infestation (I never see more than a dozen or so at a time, though there are CERTAINLY more than that hiding).

Thanks for the info! I guess neither of these will be good permanent pets. Are there any snails you don't have to worry about overbreeding with?

7. Legures

LeguresValued MemberMember

I find that lettuce is easier to get rid of them rather than cucumber/zucchini. The cucumber/zucchini will eventually become really soft and break apart. Plus lettuce is bigger :p

Snails that don't overbreed are Pomacea Diffusa (known as the Apple Snail) and Nerite Snails which you said you already had. Apple Snails will lay eggs outside of the water so even if they do breed, you can just get rid of the cluster if you don't want baby snails. Nerite Snails can lay eggs but they will only hatch in brackish water so that probably shouldn't be a problem.

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

My nerite is doing a great job, and they're very nice to look at, but definitely not the most active snail. Are apple snails the same as mystery snails? (I think I heard that somewhere.) I may end up staying with tried-and-true nerites, but if I end up needing to get a few assassins to take care of the snail problem (hopefully it won't get that out of hand), then I'd have to make sure the nerites were large enough to be safe from the assassins.

9. Brainlady

BrainladyWell Known MemberMember

Apple snails are really cool to look at.... they have that 'lung thing' that protrudes and they are very active. When they lay eggs.... on the underside of the hood of my aquarium I just pull the cluster off and throw it away. I was so relieved when I discovered Apple Snails.... they are also quite large which is great. I did have one that died because I put it in before getting all the Assassin snails out and they killed it. I felt really bad. The Apple snail had no defense and when it died it smelled so awful. Luckily I took it out that evening. Still feel guilty...:;nin

10. Legures

Basically, yes Apple Snails are the same as Mystery. Just depends on the store's preference on name.
    I'm not sure what your definition of not active is but IME, Apple Snails are pretty active. They great at removing algae. Mine were SUPER active. Not sure if I got lucky though :p

Assassin Snails will kill every type of snail regardless of size. If they can't, they'll form a group and take one single big snail down so I would be REALLY cautious. You might even want to take out your Nerites to be safe.

11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I meant my nerite isn't very active. :) At first I was afraid he didn't like my water (though it's basic and the GH is very high), because he would sit in the same spot for hours...then I found out that's normal.

Fortunately the nerite I have is in a different tank, so he is safe. I will definitely remember that no snails are safe from assassins...I hope to take care of the snail problem without having to buy assassins, so as to keep my snail options open in the future. :)

Has anyone had success getting rid of pond/rams horn snail infestations without the use of assassins? The problem isn't terrible yet, but I know there's bound to be zillions of tiny ones, and I see them mating ALL the time...

12. Legures

Ohh, hehe my mistake :-X

You could also get rid of the snails with Clown Loaches. They like to eat snails but I wouldn't recommend this method. They get up to 16 inches long and they like being in shoals! Some people just buy one for a week and then return it afterwards but it's against my ethics to just use a fish like that.

I don't know any other methods besides the lettuce bait, which works pretty well for getting a majority of snails out. You might have to do it for up to a couple of weeks to get ALL the snails out. So hopefully another member can help you out if you don't decide to do any of the methods stated

EDIT: I forgot to mention. You should definitely not use any snail killing chemicals. They can be very harmful to shrimp, fish and plants.

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I actually posted a thread asking about kuhli loaches..do they like snails as well? Though I've read they prefer well-established tanks, which mine is not. (Finally cycled, though very tentatively so.) For now, I'll pick out any I see and put some cucumber in tonight (don't have any lettuce at the moment), hopefully that will at least keep the population at bay for the time being.

14. Legures

Unfortunately they don't. Yoyo loaches could but it depends on the fish's interest. Even if they did, they will eventually lose interest in the taste.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice