Snail Id Help!

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So about a month ago I got some new plants and 2 otos, the plants were from my LFS and otos from petsmart. I also got 5 julii coreys within the last week. As I was checking on my fishes this morning after feeding time, I see this little hitch hiker. I would like to know what snail it is, I know it's not a nerite, its antennas are long and the foot is very long and pointy. I want to know if I will be over run with snails now or if it's ok to leave it? Will it eat my plants, if so that sucker is gone lol. I tried to get a puc of its shell but the location of where it was made it very difficult.
20190828_115033.jpg
20190828_115115.jpg

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a bladder snail. Aka pond snail, aka one of the most common pest snails. It can reproduce asexually so you will get more if you don't remove it and don't already have more.

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Was able to get a good shell pic
20190828_120046.jpg

That is a bladder snail. Aka pond snail, aka one of the most common pest snails. It can reproduce asexually so you will get more if you don't remove it and don't already have more.
Ok, so they are good to have as cleanup of stuff on plants and decor etc and wont actually eat the plants?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could say that I suppose. They breed like rabbits tho and will soon over run your tank.

KassandraXo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could say that I suppose. They breed like rabbits tho and will soon over run your tank.
This!!! They breed like crazy and will be all over your tank. Last year I bought some live plants but then had to go away with work for 3 weeks. My husband took care of my tanks while I was gone and when I came back the tank was FULL of pest snails. It looked like the substrate was moving...that is how bad it was. If you want snails I would highly suggest getting mystery snails instead. You need 2 to breed them and you can always just remove the egg clutch if you don't want more.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was able to get a good shell pic View attachment 583799

Ok, so they are good to have as cleanup of stuff on plants and decor etc and wont actually eat the plants?
If you want cleanup snails get some Nerites. Mysterys don't clean a whole lot. Yeah get that one out of there they do breed crazy fast. Some people do like them though and there are ways to control them.

TalulahMae

Reaction score
Bladder snails and pond snails are quite different. This is definitely a bladder snail. They do not get nearly as big as pond snails and start reproducing at a very small size. I would remove it unless you want 100 snails in a hurry. They will not harm your plants, and mine seem to do a great job of cleaning any algae off of the leaves. Probably because I have roughly a zillion of them though. They are definitely a pest. If you want a beneficial snail, get a nerite.

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a bunch of bladder snails too that infested my tank. I decided to get a couple of assassin snails to help keep their population in check and so far it has worked pretty well. The bladder snail's population for sure explodes, but so far the assassins have kept them relatively manageable. I do enjoy watching the assassins too. As the other people have mentioned, there are less invasive snails that can clean your tank, but I decided to let them stay and try to have a snail predator keep it from becoming a problem. It has worked for the past three months.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom