Snail Id Help

shoeears

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have had pest snails in our tanks before, but we dont know what these are. Looking for help identifying them and best removal and prevention advice. We seem to have an infestation of them.
They are small and almost flat and take a very long time to grow.
We do have merited in the tank, but the water isn't suitable for the eggs to hatch. We've seen and dealt with pond and ramhorn snails. So we hope these are easily dealt with.

Attachments

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those look like limpets, the second picture especially. I have them in my tanks and have no idea how to get rid of them, but tankfully they dont seem to cause any problems and i see my fish eat them occasionally.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not exactly sure what they are, they are too small to tell but here's how you can get rid of them; buy an assassin snail or a couple of them, I know it sounds weird adding more snails to your tank, but Assassin Snails will kill and eat all other snails inside your tank and they will NOT reproduce in there. So you can either get rid of the Assassin's when you are comfortable they are all gone, or just keep them for any other future problems.

Always bleach dip your plants before bringing them home, that's where your problems of pest snails comes from.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alex Pasquale said:
Not exactly sure what they are, they are too small to tell but here's how you can get rid of them; buy an assassin snail or a couple of them, I know it sounds weird adding more snails to your tank, but Assassin Snails will kill and eat all other snails inside your tank and they will NOT reproduce in there. So you can either get rid of the Assassin's when you are comfortable they are all gone, or just keep them for any other future problems.

Always bleach dip your plants before bringing them home, that's where your problems of pest snails comes from.
Assassin snails will reproduce. People use them to get rid of one type of infestation... only to end up with another one. Thankfully assassims are also cannibalistic so they keep their own population in check.
Also if the OP has other snails in the tank, the assassins will target them as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom