Snail Id. Found Small Snails In My 55g

LoganKarl

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Hey there!

Just started to find a different kind of snail I'm my 55g. About 10 of them so far and they are all really small. Anyone know what they are? Maybe assasin snails?

I took in some new fish and a plant a few weeks ago so they were probably a ride along.

Attachments

Mongo75

Well Known
Reactions
I'm no expert, but I would say MTS. Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Differing views say they're vermin because the reproduce faster than bunnies, and others say they like them because they keep your substrate clean.

Then again I might be wrong...

Benfreshwater

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Definitely a assassin snail I say. Quite a nice little freebie as there great to keep the rest of the snail population down if you have any issues with them... Or if you don't want other snails eating I suggest you remove them before they grow to full size...

abbytherookiehuman

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Absolutely an assassin snail. So jealous!! They’re like illegal or something where I live so you see ads for them at $80 a pair upstate. You, however are getting them as nice ridealongs

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
3 years
That's definitely an assassin and a nice score for a hitchhiker snail. As others have stated if you don't want other snails eaten ( pet snails mysterys or nerites ) you will want to remove him.

Fishcat

Well Known
Reactions
Wow. That’s pretty much the first time I’ve seen a snail ID thread that wasn’t about bladder snails or, at best, ramshorns.

abbytherookiehuman

Reactions
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
That's definitely an assassin and a nice score for a hitchhiker snail. As others have stated if you don't want other snails eaten ( pet snails mysterys or nerites ) you will want to remove him.
Also have been said to attack other species such as shrimp if they’re small enough and maybe even fish fry

OP
LoganKarl

LoganKarl

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Thanks all for the replys
I was hopI g for them to be assassins . I have counted about 7 little ones. I have no idea really where they came from but awesome! They go for about $10-$20 between my two LFS. I have 2 adults in my shrimp only tank and they seem to leave them alone .

New Threads