Snail hitchhiker--- humane options

1. Jdufreche Member Member

Okay, so I believe these guys are ramshorns (correct me if they aren't). I thought it was just the one, but this morning I found another. I was willing to let the one live in my tank, but now there's two (maybe more) and I'd really like to avoid a snail explosions (there are no predators in my tank). I hate to kill them and I certainly won't release them into the natural waterways. My logical brain says it's these two or tons more later... Guess I'm just looking for option three? Any suggestions. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

It does look like a ramshorn to me.

I personally like them in my tank with trumpet snails. They are my glass and clean up crew.

A humane way to get rid of them? Don't know. Sorry.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You could get assassin snails that will eat them unless you also have nerites and mysteries.

I usually just leave a veggie in the tank overnight and the next day, I'll find a few stuck to it. Then I just toss them in the trash. I'll also pick them out as I see them in the tank. I honestly don't know any other "humane" way to rid of them.

4. Shiloh Keller Initiate Member

you could get a fish bowl and throw them in there with a plant or two, make a little snail bowl. could also just leave them in the tank, i dont have experience with them but ive heard if you dont over-feed the population wont explode.

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah assassin snails definitely the most natural way to rid yourself of them but, I don't really know of a humane way to off snails.

6. Jdufreche Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can also squish them. Unpleasant, yes, but I'd consider it humane as it's a fast death for them.

8. Jdufreche Member Member

That's actually what I ended up doing . Hated it but it was either that or more deaths later

9. Jdufreche Member Member

But thank y'all for your input, I just hate killing something solely on the basis that I find them inconvenient.... I was having an internal debate about the whole thing.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

In my tanks, they eat my plants and take away food from my mystery snails. That's enough of a reason for me!

11. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

I get this. :( In my experience, even the 'pest' snails have a part to play in the ecosystem of your tank. If you don't overfeed, they will not overtake the tank. A clean tank will equate with a healthy 'pest' snail environment. If something goes wrong, an explosion in the 'pest' snail population is a key in early identification that something may not be right. If you see a lot of them all of a sudden, something has changed in your tank environment that might need your attention. Jdufreche, what fish/invertebrates do you have in your tank?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't overfeed, but they still exploded - they feast on the algae and plants (and not just the dying ones - they're eating holes in some of my Hygrophila species).

13. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with TD. I don't overfeed either and while I've managed to keep the population to a minimum by regularly picking them out, they still manage to ruin my s. repens! They're absolutely shredded!! :mad:

14. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Assassin snails! They will get every one of them. Problem solved.

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you have other snails that you want to keep in the tank...

16. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

But for a population explosion to occur, conditions for that explosion would need to be there. What is needed in the environment for the trigger? I will agree that maybe it is not food necessarily, but what else might it be? Definitely something for discussion, as it could benefit us all. I've had a recent "pest snail" population explosion, but have traced it back to feeding a new smaller pellet food, and in retrospect might have overdone it the first few times. Got extra ghost shrimp for each tank, and wow the snail population is decreasing, LOL. While it might not always be the case, sometimes when we take the entire environment into context we can find a pattern and solution.

17. Jdufreche Member Member

Annie424 I have netrite and mystery snails already... I love snails, just don't want to be overrun with them. dcutl002 that's why assassins wouldn't be a good choice for me

18. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Oh OK. Sorry. No Ninja snails then.

19. Koniucha Member Member

That's hard for me too. I have been removing them into a container just for snails. They are in my daughter's room. She considers them pets.

20. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Don't know if anyone said it yet but a swift accurate blow from a hammer is about as humane as I can think