Snail help

jt21

I have a black devil spike snail, and I was wondering if they reproduce in freshwater. Because I just say in my tank what appears to be a small snail. Do I need to buy a shell for the new snail? I’ve never had snails before so I need help

TWiG87

IIRC they don’t reproduce in freshwater.
Did you buy new live plants or anything recently? An egg may have made its way in on that possibly.
Freshwater snails grow their shells, it is a part of them. You do not need to provide a shell.

jt21

I did purchase some water wisteria a couple of weeks ago is it possible it has just showed itself now?

mimo91088

I did purchase some water wisteria a couple of weeks ago is it possible it has just showed itself now?
Totally possible. And highly likely. It's probably a bladder snail. Don't panic. Despite what I'm sure others are about to chime in with, they're an incredibly beneficial member of a healthy ecosystem.

jt21

Totally possible. And highly likely. It's probably a bladder snail. Don't panic. Despite what I'm sure others are about to chime in with, they're an incredibly beneficial member of a healthy ecosystem.

Image1581640180.634423.jpg
This is what the snail looks like. Any ideas on what it is

TWiG87

I have about 30-40 baby bladder snails in my aquarium as we speak. I don’t want all of them, but I don’t really want to Kill them either.

That picture doesn’t quite look like a bladder snail though

Ebreus

I have a black devil spike snail, and I was wondering if they reproduce in freshwater. Because I just say in my tank what appears to be a small snail. Do I need to buy a shell for the new snail? I’ve never had snails before so I need help
Snails make their own shells. From the picture you linked it looks like the little guy isn't having any difficulty making his. Snails can have some problems if the water is too soft... mine are semi-transparent due to water softness.

mimo91088

I have about 30-40 baby bladder snails in my aquarium as we speak. I don’t want all of them, but I don’t really want to Kill them either.
The population will boom at first due to tons of food in the form of biofilm and algae, but they'll die back to a manageable level as they eat through most of it and the food supply dwindles.
That picture doesn’t quite look like a bladder snail though
Agreed. Can we get another angle possibly?

TWiG87

The population will boom at first due to tons of food in the form of biofilm and algae, but they'll die back to a manageable level as they eat through most of it and the food supply dwindles.
Good to know, thanks. I was kind of hoping that would be the case

jt21

I recently had a random snail pop up in my tank. I notice that there is something strange hanging from it and by it and don’t know what it is. What are theses little tiny green ovals on the plant and hanging from the snail.
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG

Demeter

That is poo, rams lay eggs in clear, round, flat "discs".

StarGirl

Poops.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Top Bottom