Snail food

1. S

Slippy New Member Member

Hey All,

I was thinking about getting snailes, but am worried that my ADFs might eat them and was wondering what food do snailes eat besides veggies? :confused:

Thanks, :;banaman
    Slippy

2. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Assuming you're getting mystery snails, they can eat algae wafers and uneaten ADF foods. Your ADFs won't eat the snails. Blanched zucchini will work, as will sinking fish food.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Elodea is right.
    I suppose in a rare instance, an ADF might snap at it so small ones could be a choking hazard.
    I have small snails, my adults never snapped at them but when my tadpoles were morphing they would try, so I removed the snails.

4. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

There are also people who make snail cookies to feed the snails they are raising. Recipes on line and you can purchase from them direct.

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Here:

Mystery snail (small apple snail), pond snail:

Blanched veggies, fish food, occasionally aquatic plants, decaying protein (dead fish and inverts)

Apple snail:

Blanched veggies, fish food, aquatic plants (except java fern and some others), decaying protein

Tylomelania snails, MTS, ramshorn snails:

Blanched veggies, fish food, decaying protein

Nerite snails:

Diatoms, algae (not hair), occasionally fish food

Assassin snails:

Ramshorn snails, pond snails, fish food, decaying protein

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

7. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

My Mystery snails eat pretty much anything. I can handfeed them bloodworms if they are on the side of the tank it's fun to watch them slurp 'em up like spaghetti.

8. OP
    OP
    S

Slippy New Member Member

Wow... thanks for the quick replies :;thx

Gonna pick up some new snails for my tank tomorrow :;banaman

9. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Just make sure the wafers don't have copper sulfate or any other copper compounds. Hikari's are fine to use but expensive.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Slippy New Member Member

Hey all,

I just picked up 2 Zebra Nerite snails and 2 Apple Snails :;snail

They are soooooooo funny... they keep on hitching rides from each other... :)

:mad:rainman

I usually feed my Cories "TetraVeggie Algae Wafers Extreme", I just checked and there are is no copper :;hf

Thanks for all the help everyone :;group

11. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Idk about that in my area its not too expensive. But yeah copper sulfate=dead snail. Wardely is the bad one for it so adviod them. Best of luck.

12. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

You are lucky. It's $8.00 for an 4oz bag of the stuff. The Canas mow through the bag like it's nothing lol.