Snail food

Jerriel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering what food I could feed my Zebra snail,

I read they need calcium for their shells.
What food can I give it that has the necessary stuff.

Also I have 3 platy that like to will definatly nip at any food I put in, so I need to knoe if the snail food is also safe for them.

Thank you. :)

Best Answer - View Fae's answer

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sure there's other people who know more than me, but for my snails I thought I would try my hand at making food for them (since they seem busy with algae but I thought they might need more calcium)

I ended up combining a bunch of different recipes I found but ideally I wanted to try making snello (snail jello). Google it XD

If you're impatient like me, and you don't have gelatin at home, what I did was combine:

Eggshells, boiled/baked and powdered
Tums, berry flavoured
A bunch of fresh spinach and greens from my garden
Algae wafers
Hemp protein powder
A little bit of honey and banana

And then I blended all that together and baked it in a very thin layer in the oven at 180° for a couple hours. I was hoping it would come out crisp! But nope it definitely did not XD it sank, so I ended up blending it into a powder anyways

And guess what? All that work and my snails ignore it OTL

Buuuuut all my other fish absolutely love it! Especially my platies (and lemon tetras and honey gouramis) oh and my ghost shrimp sample it occasionally

Not what I intended but ehhh the platies and honeys seemed like they needed more greens anyways

And the added calcium powdering generally in the tank probably benefits the snails as they lick the walls lol

OP
Jerriel

Jerriel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
Try a slice of zucchini, boiled for a few minutes so it will sink.
Thanks for the help my snail and fish seem to have loved the zucchini. :)

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did the Zebra eat it? Mine do not eat anything I put in there. My Mysteries did not the Nerites.

OP
Jerriel

Jerriel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
Did the Zebra eat it? Mine do not eat anything I put in there. My Mysteries did not the Nerites.
They where on it for awhile but they eventually moved away and the platy started to nip at it until they got tired of it I guess and its been there for little now.

New Threads