Snail explosion

kansas

I have many, many small snails in my tank, smaller than a grain of rice. They are whitish with corkscrew shells.

I feed the betta that's in this tank brine shrimp or blood worms one at a time using tweezers, and stop at the first sign that he's had enough.

I thot snail explosions were usually caused by overfeeding, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I've stopped using liquid fertilizer thinking this would reduce any algae that may be feeding them.

I do a 50% water change every week. Any other tips? They are so small that it's not a distraction when looking at the tank unless you get close, so I can live with them if need be as everything else about the tank is doing well.

Demeter

The “mini trumpet snails” as i like to call then are a real pain for me too. I don’t even k ow what species they are but they do look like little baby trumpet snails. If you want to thin them out then try using a piece of air line hose to siphon them out. I notice mine come out more at dark so that would be when to do it. Easier than picking them out by hand and safer than using chemicals.

Upvote 0

kansas

I wish the betta would eat them, but no.

Upvote 0

Luvbebes

I’ve used a turkey baster to suck them out .

Upvote 0

Demeter

I wish the betta would eat them, but no.

I once saw that my betta did eat one, but I only saw it coming out the other end I have no idea how she was able to pass it!

Upvote 0

kansas

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0

Lucas35

"Mini trumpet snails" are probably New Zealand mud snails

Upvote 0

CosmicFish

Yeah, best method is to pick them out by hand or with a turkey baster. You can get assassin snails that actually hunt and eat other snails. They are pretty cool. I used the two methods in combination and had at least brought the snails down to a much more reasonable level.

Upvote 0

AJE

Are there any other fish in the tank?

Upvote 0

kansas

No, just the betta in Flex 9.

Upvote 0

AJE

What kind of substate do you have? they might be eating things out of the substate or dead leaves from plants.

Upvote 0

kansas

Flourite with Thrive Root Tabs and liquid.

I've cut back on the liquid fert and have started rinsing the frozen food to remove the liquid they come froze in. I'm doing a better job about removing dead leaves and what have you.

My plan is to cut down on the nutrients going the tank to cut their numbers.

Upvote 0

AJE

Sounds good, I don't have any other suggestions as I think snails are good. Good luck

Upvote 0

kansas

I like snails too. I don't want to get rid of them, I just want fewer.

Upvote 0

AJE

I know, I just don't have much experience with a population explosion is what I meant

Upvote 0

KrissyK24

Give them away or charge $1 a piece in your local area

Upvote 0

Redshark1

Assassin snails are the way to go if you wish to control them.

Its a myth that you must be overfeeding. Snails eat lots of things including fish poop.

But of course we overfeed to ensure the weakest fish get some. Also fish require very little in reality. Half a flake will feed a Neon for a day. Four and a half flakes for a new Goldfish. Most tropical fish will be inbetween.

Upvote 0

AJE

Assassin snails are the way to go if you wish to control them.

Its a myth that you must be overfeeding. Snails eat lots of things including fish poop.

But of course we overfeed to ensure the weakest fish get some. Also fish require very little in reality. Half a flake will feed a Neon for a day. Four and a half flakes for a new Goldfish. Most tropical fish will be inbetween.
The amount of food you put gin does affect how many snails there are, yes snails eat fish poop but the more you feed fish, the more they poop. Snails will breed to the amount of food available

Upvote 0

Redshark1

I know that it is possible to have a massive snail explosion even though I feed the fish very little. I am speaking from my own experience. Please accept that this is what I have found. Your experience may differ.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • derpychicken
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Sb092
  • Question
Replies
Views
Salem
  • Question
  • ferg42995
  • Snails
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
  • FishKeeper332
  • Snails
Replies
Views
FishKeeper332

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Snail Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom