5 Gallon Tank Snail eggs???

basisconsumer

I thought I had two mystery snails until today when I found what, to me, looks like eggs! As far as I know, mystery snails lay their eggs above water and these definitely are underwater on the glass.

Are these eggs and, if so, what kind of snail lays eggs like this? I was thinking nerite but it seems they tend to lay eggs on decorations or plants, not glass.

Secondly, if they are eggs, how do I take care of them? I love snails but I've never had aquatic ones before. How could I remove these from the glass without hurting them? I don't want my betta to touch them, and I think they're supposed to go into brackish water anyway?

I'm very new to aquariums so thank you for any help!!

Attachments

• 20210515_150412 (1).jpg
    20210515_150412 (1).jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 31

Demeter

That’s a mystery snail and the “eggs” are its poop! Mystery snails lay a clump of pale yellow/pink/tan eggs just above the water line.

Google “breeding mystery snails” for all the finer details.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Nerites do lay them wherever and it won't hurt the betta to eat them if it even bothers...my bettas always ignore the eggs, though. And yes they would need brackish water. Can we get a picture of the snail where it shows the shell more?

Upvote 0

basisconsumer

That’s a mystery snail and the “eggs” are its poop! Mystery snails lay a clump of pale yellow/pink/tan eggs just above the water line.

Google “breeding mystery snails” for all the finer details.
thank you!!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I thought I had two mystery snails until today when I found what, to me, looks like eggs! As far as I know, mystery snails lay their eggs above water and these definitely are underwater on the glass.

Are these eggs and, if so, what kind of snail lays eggs like this? I was thinking nerite but it seems they tend to lay eggs on decorations or plants, not glass.

Secondly, if they are eggs, how do I take care of them? I love snails but I've never had aquatic ones before. How could I remove these from the glass without hurting them? I don't want my betta to touch them, and I think they're supposed to go into brackish water anyway?

I'm very new to aquariums so thank you for any help!!
Welcome to Fishlore :) I agree with Demeter This is mystery snail poop. If you have a female you will eventually see clutches of eggs she has laid above the water line in your tank. You will recognize them when you see them :)

Mystery snail eggs don't need brackish water. You can just leave them where she lays them and in a week or so you will have more tiny snails than you know what to do with. I allowed just part of one clutch to mature and hatch and still ended up with 70 baby snails. You may want to remove the clutches as she lays them if you don't want to get more babies than you know what to do with. Had I allowed all the eggs my mystery snail had laid to hatch I would have well over a thousand babies by now. She is still leaving me a clutch of eggs a couple of times a week.

Nerite eggs do need brackish water. So far no one here on the forum has reported successfully hatching and raising nerite snails.

Upvote 0

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom