Snail eggs

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've got black mystery snail eggs. I just noticed them tonight when I was cleaning tanks and moving things around. The cluster is on the underside of the roof of the tank cover. The eggs are pink, opaque, and about the size of a pinhead; I'm guessing that the clutch was laid in the past few days. I'm excited!

One thing though: do any of y'all know if these snails kill each other in the name of competition? I used to have seven snails and they've all petered out, excepting two. The third-to-the-last snail died about two weeks ago, then poof, I have eggs. If snails do kill each other, how do they do it?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations!!! No I don't think they kill each other off but I sometimes think theres not enough food or the right kind. Mine always seem to just die over time also. I don't know what teir life expectency is.
Carol

Aurora

Reaction score
Congratulations on your clutch!!!!  Keep us posted on their arrival.........I have never read or heard of snails being any kind of preditor.  They are quite the piggys though and you need to make sure there is enough food to go around if your have several.  As for life span, it is affected by many things, water temps, food, etc but most sites say 18 mos to 3 years average.  The higher the water temp the shorter the life span so snails kept in community tanks are usually subjected to higher temps, thus shorter life spans.....Again good luck with your clutch!!!!

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
No wonder, I keep that tank at 85 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent the spread of ich in my new arrivals. Oops :-\

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom