Snail eggs

Rafisunn

I bought some plants today and the java fern seems to have some snails eggs on it!

How do I get rid of them? Can I just rinse them off?

A small bit of java moss seems to have snuck in with the fern as well. Is it okay if I put it on my driftwood?

StarGirl

I soak mine overnight in 3 TBLS. Alum and a gallon water. I have never seen eggs on them so I can't positive ID those. Don't put em in if that's what you think they are. No I don't think you can just wash them off.

CoryBoi

They look like snail eggs, if it were me I would keep them, those snails are so helpful in a tank.

AJSFishKeeper

Do a bleach dip, 5% bleach (10 parts water with half a cup of bleach) in a water solution and soak for 2 mins. Afterwards, rinse plants and soak it in water with seachem prime to remove any remaining bleach

Rafisunn

Wouldn’t they tank over the tank? I thought they were pests. I’ve never had live plants before so I don’t know.

AJSFishKeeper

Wouldn’t they tank over the tank? I thought they were pests. I’ve never had live plants before so I don’t know.

Snails are considered pests because they don't look pretty in the tank and multiply quickly, but they are beneficial to any tanks because they eat leftovers and algae.

StarGirl

Most aquarists get over-run by bladder/pond snails and have to start over a lot. Ramshorn MTS etc are somewhat easier to control. I usually suggest to get rid of them unless you WANT them. It is a thing you really don't want as a surprise. IMO

mattgirl

I am not totally sure those are snail eggs. Is it possible that this is a serious mother plant and all of those bumps are the start of a new plant. Do they feel like a dob of a jelly like substance? Most pest snail eggs are in a jell like substance with lots of eggs in it.

Rafisunn

I am not totally sure those are snail eggs. Is it possible that this is a serious mother plant and all of those bumps are the start of a new plant. Do they feel like a dob of a jelly like substance? Most pest snail eggs are in a jell like substance with lots of eggs in it.

They don't feel like jelly at all. The look and feel a lot like the bumps on the backs of non aquatic fern leaves.

SnookusFish

put them in and get a group of 3 assassin snails, they look nice and the 'pest' snails will disappear within a few days

TWiG87

Not necessarily, they are generally limited to the amount of excess nutrients and food in the tank. FWIW, I thought I was going to have a bladder snail infestation, but Their population has seemed to level off around 15-20. I’m careful to not over feed my fish also

Rafisunn

put them in and get a group of 3 assassin snails, they look nice and the 'pest' snails will disappear within a few days

I'm starting to think I just saw them and panicked (I've had a rough day). They don't feel like snails eggs but I wasn't aware that java fern could produce those.

My tank just started cycling so I don't think I could add any assassin snails to my tank if 'pest' snails started appearing.

StarGirl

That was my first impression also. I haven't seen any snail eggs yet. So I really don't know what they look like. Bumps on a fern is a great visual.

Blueberrybetta

Those don't look like snail eggs to me IMO ,I also don't know much on the plant either about them sprouting new on the back , but I've seen it before and it kinda looks like that ! If it's hard and not crystallized, I'd say it's the plant sprouting

Rafisunn

That was my first impression also. I haven't seen any snail eggs yet. So I really don't know what they look like. Bumps on a fern is a great visual.

2/3 of the separate rhizomes I got have it on at least one of their leaves, so that's pretty cool! Bad news is I accidentally tore one of the largest leaves (w/out the bumps). Should I just leave the leaf or do I have to take it off?

StarGirl

2/3 of the separate rhizomes I got have it on at least one of their leaves, so that's pretty cool! Bad news is I accidentally tore one of the largest leaves (w/out the bumps). Should I just leave the leaf or do I have to take it off?
I would take it off....sadly. The plant will work to repair the broken leaf instead of growing new leaves.

Ebreus

Those don't look like snail eggs to me though I've only seen Bladder Snail eggs. They're clear/white and squishy, always grouped together in an egg sack.
As others have already beat me to saying snails are benefitial. Those that are considered pests are just considered pests because they can be a hassle to control or eliminate.
If it turns out these aren't snail eggs and you want the benefit of snails there's a few pretty great choices that aren't so hard to control (and actually look nice).
Apple/Mystery Snails are big and colorful though they will breed, slowly, in your aquarium.
Nerite Snails are small and colorful. They'll make eggs but they won't hatch in freshwater.
Malaysian Trumpet Snails, MTS, are small and somewhat drab but aerate your substrate with their burrowing. They will readily breed in your tank so care must be taken with them not to overfeed the tank.
Assassin Snails are large and colorful but don't provide the usual snail benefits. They're snail eaters. Best kept in their own tank and fed the excess population if you have a fast breeding snail species or added directly to the snail tank as an extermination method.
The common pest snails are Pond and Bladder. They're not colorful but they're extremely hearty and breed rapidly which makes them hard to get rid of it you don't want them.

All of these options but the Assassin eat algae, some will eat live plants but not as a preference. They'll eat live plants when algae isn't available which can be rectified with algae wafers.

Rafisunn

Those don't look like snail eggs to me though I've only seen Bladder Snail eggs. They're clear/white and squishy, always grouped together in an egg sack.
As others have already beat me to saying snails are benefitial. Those that are considered pests are just considered pests because they can be a hassle to control or eliminate.
If it turns out these aren't snail eggs and you want the benefit of snails there's a few pretty great choices that aren't so hard to control (and actually look nice).
Apple/Mystery Snails are big and colorful though they will breed, slowly, in your aquarium.
Nerite Snails are small and colorful. They'll make eggs but they won't hatch in freshwater.
Malaysian Trumpet Snails, MTS, are small and somewhat drab but aerate your substrate with their burrowing. They will readily breed in your tank so care must be taken with them not to overfeed the tank.
Assassin Snails are large and colorful but don't provide the usual snail benefits. They're snail eaters. Best kept in their own tank and fed the excess population if you have a fast breeding snail species or added directly to the snail tank as an extermination method.
The common pest snails are Pond and Bladder. They're not colorful but they're extremely hearty and breed rapidly which makes them hard to get rid of it you don't want them.

All of these options but the Assassin eat algae, some will eat live plants but not as a preference. They'll eat live plants when algae isn't available which can be rectified with algae wafers.

Thank you I want to get a nerite snail once my tank cycles.

StarGirl

Thank you I want to get a nerite snail once my tank cycles.
I was eyeing some Tigers at my lfs today....

Rafisunn

I was eyeing some Tigers at my lfs today....

My lfs only has mystery and assassin, so I'll have to get mine from petsmart. Tiger nerite are beautiful

StarGirl

My lfs only has mystery and assassin, so I'll have to get mine from petsmart. Tiger nerite are beautiful
I really want some red racers.

Rafisunn

I really want some red racers.

I love red racers, they're gorgeous. I personally really like the horned nerites. I've only ever seen Zebras in person though

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MissNoodle
Replies
Views
Wuvbug1
Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views