Snail Eggs???

  • Thread starter

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Messages
387
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Experience
3 years
I have a 10 gallon planted tank stocked with:
A betta (male), an ivory mystery snail, and an unknown kind of small black snail that came with one of my plants.

I found these this morning and I have no idea what they are. I thought maybe snail eggs but my ivory is the size of a large marble and the other snail is the size of small aquarium gravel. If anyone has any ideas of what this could be it would be greatly appreciated!

If you need a better picture let me know.

The second picture is what happens when your betta gets too curious about the camera lol.
 

Attachments

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,500
Reaction score
2,101
Points
308
Experience
1 year
That black snail was a pest snail. It’s kinda hard for me to tell the eggs apart, but there are some people here who can. Can you post the pest snail picture?

Also, this may be the beginning of an infestation. Try to remove the eggs.


If they are bladder snails, they will breed even if there isn’t enough food to support the colony. All of my tanks that ever had bladder snails suffered a crash and complete wipeout of bladders. Then, you will have ammonia problems.

If it’s from a ramshorn, it shouldn’t be to the point of colony collapse. IME, ramshorn breed until their numbers are sustainable.
 
  • Thread starter

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Messages
387
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Experience
3 years
75 gallon Discus Tank said:
That black snail was a pest snail. It’s kinda hard for me to tell the eggs apart, but there are some people here who can. Can you post the pest snail picture?

Also, this may be the beginning of an infestation. Try to remove the eggs.


If they are bladder snails, they will breed even if there isn’t enough food to support the colony. All of my tanks that ever had bladder snails suffered a crash and complete wipeout of bladders. Then, you will have ammonia problems.

If it’s from a ramshorn, it shouldn’t be to the point of colony collapse. IME, ramshorn breed until their numbers are sustainable.
Its not a ramhorn I know what they look like I will look for the snail and post a picture. Give me a few minutes. If it is a bladder snail and I get babies I have a tank with kuhli loaches would they eat them?
 
  • Thread starter

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Messages
387
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Here is a picture of the snail. I moved it and the eggs on the leaf into a small glass bowl.
 

Attachments

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,500
Reaction score
2,101
Points
308
Experience
1 year
That’s a bladder snail. Kill it.
 
  • Thread starter

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Messages
387
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Experience
3 years
75 gallon Discus Tank said:
That’s a bladder snail. Kill it.
Could I put it in my 30 gallon tank with my kuhli loaches? Or should I just kill it myself. Also what should I do with the eggs?
 

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,500
Reaction score
2,101
Points
308
Experience
1 year
Just let the eggs dry out. The kuhli loaches won't eat the snail.
 
  • Thread starter

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Messages
387
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Experience
3 years
75 gallon Discus Tank said:
Just let the eggs dry out. The kuhli loaches won't eat the snail.
OK thanks!
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
277
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Goldfishfreak said:
I have a 10 gallon planted tank stocked with:
A betta (male), an ivory mystery snail, and an unknown kind of small black snail that came with one of my plants.

I found these this morning and I have no idea what they are. I thought maybe snail eggs but my ivory is the size of a large marble and the other snail is the size of small aquarium gravel. If anyone has any ideas of what this could be it would be greatly appreciated!

If you need a better picture let me know.

The second picture is what happens when your betta gets too curious about the camera lol.


I can't see any eggs. Where are you talking about? On your filter, or the plants?
 
  • Thread starter

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Messages
387
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Ms rose said:
I can't see any eggs. Where are you talking about? On your filter, or the plants?
On the Java fern leaf there are some clear eggs. I already solved the problem though. Thanks anyway!
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom