Snail Eggs?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by star17325, Aug 5, 2017.

1. star17325

star17325 Valued Member Member

I currently have a 30g set up for snails and ghost shrimp. I have mystery snails, ramshorn snails and bladder snails in it. Trying to Breed atleast the ramshorn and bladder snails for my puffers. Is this snail eggs on this plant leaf? If so, how can I tell whether it's the ramshorn or bladder snail? It doesn't matter to me but just in case for future reference. I also have 2 things of eggs on the glass that look fairly flattish compared to this one but can't get a good picture of them.
    b2463995895b0e1b80d7a39398b8dd15.jpg

2. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

Most definitely.

Probably ram or pond snails

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Hmm im not sure. It looks like you dropped a contact lens into the tank lol

Ramshorn snail eggs are laid in a small cluster of around a dozen and on solid, flatish surfaces. It'll look similar to your picture, but will have a bunch of white dots in it.

Pond snails usually lay their eggs at the base of a plant or silimar. They are hard to see, but it looks like a bunch of clear breadstick together. Emphasis on hard to see.

Mystery snails lay their eggs above the water surface, and are hard to miss. They will be peach colored beads and hard/brittle until the eggs develop.

If that is an egg clutch, I would guess ramshorn. However I don't see any white dots in it, so perhaps it's nothing, or an egg clutch that got messed up.

4. OP
    OP
    star17325

It does look like contact lens, but I haven't lost any contact lenses. Lol

Now I have several of those on different plant leaves, they look like the "dots" are in a couple straight lines, throughout the tank and and several eggs on the side of the glass which the dots are like in a circle, if that makes sense.

I haven't had any mystery snail clutches yet, I have of them, 2 black, 2 golden/yellow, and 1 ivory(I think that's their color) There shells are horrible looking and I need to get them some calcium to help them. The ivory one doesn't move much but the others are all over the tank and the one golden stays mainly around the top.

Here are some better pics. I know it's still hard to see them. Don't mind the one fake plant, took it from another tank. 20706305_1750150278406974_178894589_o.jpg 20706311_1750157238406278_885733436_o.jpg 20727643_1750150115073657_1285576739_o.jpg

5. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Ooh those are def. Ramshorn eggs! I can see the dots in the ones stuck to the glass. Perhaps the one on the plant is a failed batch and won't hatch.

Do you know the genders of your mystery snails? Do you ever see one snail riding on top of another? You probably won't get any egg clutches until their get nice shell growth. What are you feeding them?

6. OP
    OP
    star17325

I just got them from Petsmart about 2 weeks ago. Right now, I bought Tetra Pleco wafers, since I do have all the other snails and ghost shrimp also. I have several live and fake plants, 3 moss balls, and driftwood in the tank also. It's a 30 gallon tank, ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates are about 20, temp is a steady 78F, filter is a Nat geo CF50 with a sponge around the intake strainer.

Still trying to figure out the genders, I've read how to tell the difference by looking under the right side of the snail and looking for a penis sheath, but they don't cooperate very well when trying to look. Yesterday 1 of the golden and 1 black was in the back corner right next to each but couldn't really see much because of the plants were in the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice