Snail Eggs?

1. L

Lisafishlover New Member Member

Hello, i introduced a few plants to my Aquarium on last thursday, but i am finding tiny snails all over ever since. They are eating all my plant leaves. I picked and dumped three today morning and still there are more of them coming out. I dont want snails in my tank as they are eating the newly introduced plants although i may happily settle with just one.

So today i found this thing which i suspect to be Snail eggs. It came with the java moss and was sticky. It looked like a drop of glue. Now it has tiny egg like things on it. What to do? i am not familiar with snail eggs. I dont want to harm it if it is something else.
    Please help.

I will try to attach photos.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Depending on what else you have in your tank (and it probably doesnt matter anyhow, because I can't think of a species that has soemthing similar looking to snail eggs) it does sound like snail eggs. Until u do upload those photos, it's probably best to remove them. And if you really don't want those snails, getting an assassin snail is a good way to go. Those hitchhikers reprodce fast.

Hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    L

This is a photo of the thing. It did not look like what it is now when i received. So i thought may be it is some plant secretion. It look like a tiny drop of glue. Now this.

My tank is a ten gallon with six guppies and three neon tetras. It was not a planted tank. I introduced plants little less than a week ago. I want the plants to grow (and take over,... I like the jungle look he he...) than have the snails to feast on them.

Attached Files:

4. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

I would introduce an assassian snail. There's really no way to be sure they are all gone without having to tear down your entire tank and do a thorough clean. A single assassian snail in your aquarium won't reproduce and it will get rid of your pest snail problem. In the future when adding new plants to a tank, I suggest doing a dip to ensure there aren't any snail eggs hitchhiking their way into your tank. Here's a link to help with that: Dipping Plants to Eliminate Snails

5. OP
    OP
    L

This is one of the snails. I do not know what type it is. May b its just a pond snail.

Attached Files:

6. KinsKicks

Although I'm not quite sure the name of those species, those are definetly the snails you don't want in your tank. Like mentioned above, they reproduce fast and eat everything.

7. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Those are bladder snails. They are interesting creatures but reproduce faster than rabbits. Definitely considered a Pest snail and they will definitely overrun your tank if you're not proactive about it.

Now that they have made their way into your tank and laid eggs they will be difficult to get rid of. Depending on your stock you have a few alternatives.
    1. Assassin Snails (Clea Helena), my preferred method, they do a great job and reproduce extremely slowly for a snail, I have three in a 5 gallon for several months and I've never had a surprise (could be I have all the same sex though) they if/when the other snails are gone they will scavenge for food as well or because they are well liked for pest control could probably be sold or returned to lfs.
    2. Chemicals, I don't use chemicals I've no advice on what works or doesn't. I just don't go there, my opinion obviously but I'm sure others can advise if you choose that route. Generally not an option with shrimp or other snails and invertebrates.
    3. Tedious and daily inspections followed by smashing or otherwise removing them. Honestly I don't know that you can ever get them all this way, by the time you are likely to spot them they're big enough to have already bred. The babies are smaller than a pin head, like three or four could fit on a pin head maybe more. That said you can tremendously reduce them fairly quickly this way. I have nerites in some of my tanks and obviously do not want assassins with them... I pick or smash if I see one, I rarely see them anymore.
    4. Some fish eat them, be careful though fish like puffers require them and will clear a tank quickly then slowly suffer and potentially starve to death if they don't get enough "crunchy" food after they are eradicated. Research thoroughly any fish before going this route, in general not a good solution for most people.

I have my three in the five gallon with a betta, any eggs or snails I do happen to find in other tanks go there. I rinse all new plants under tap water and thoroughly inspect and rub all leaves and roots. Softer plants I have a tendency to cut back until I'm sure one more snip will kill it if I believe there's snails on it. I also take care to be sure that what I'm ordering can stand up to my methods or it's certified snail free (which still occasionally isn't).

Some people QT their plants for a few weeks in a different tank to be sure nothing hatches.

Overall being proactive makes a big difference, and natural solutions are next best bet in my experience.

8. KinsKicks

Completely agree, and the thing about the assassin snails is that "standard" aquarium conditions aren't right for them to breed, they need special conditions like nerite snails to breed. But other than that, A+ advice :)

9. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you.
    I shall resort to picking each one out as i spot them. And for assassin snails, we do not get that in the local pet shops around here. I dont want to use chemicals any way.