Snail Egg Trouble...like Whaaa

1. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

I got this piece of drift wood for my 5g Betta tank and it's awesome. I was warned before I bought it that there is a pond snail overpopulation problem and there were snails on the wood so I said, "cool beans gimme gimme." Well, I got the snails off the drift wood and gave it a bath in extremely hot water before adding it to the tank. It looked clean so I added it. Weeks later all these tiny white-ish snail eggs starting popping up all over. So I cleaned the tank really well trying to get most of them out and I boiled the driftwood for 10 minutes and scrapped the eggs off it.
    Now a couple more days later and more snail eggs are popping up! Now, I do have a Zebra Nerite snail in this tank but I am not convinced that it's laying the eggs. I only say that cuz I did find one baby pond snail when I boiled the drift wood. Again this tank is only 5 gallons so it's not like there's that many places for a snail to hide. The eggs keep popping up on the driftwood and in the corners of the tank. Like what the heck! Should I try removing the Nerite and see if it's the issue? I have other Nerites and none of them lay eggs. I am so confused on how these eggs keep popping up like daisies!
    How do I get rid of them?!

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

If the eggs are singular, very white, ovalish, opaque things, it's there nerite. Only female nerites lay eggs, so you may have just gotten lucky before and only gotten males. If the eggs look like tiny, entirely clear raspberry clumps, it's pond snail eggs. Do you have a pic?

3. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Do you have a photo? I’m guessing nerite...

4. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

If it is pond snails you could get a assassin snail but I don't know how it would act with your other snails. You could also place a piece of vegetable in the tank and wait a day and the pest snails should gather on it then just throw them away.

5. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

I have no advice as I freakin HATE snails and try with all my might to keep them away from my tanks. Good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I just murdered a bunch more but I can see If there's any left to get a picture of.

7. Rtessy

Assassin snails will kill all other snails, even large apples snails if there's more than one assassin snail. I don't mind them so much, my fish eat them and any extras I find go to the betta lol.

Did you murder the eggs or snails? If the eggs are white, it's the nerite. Pond snail eggs are transluscent.

8. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Here are a couple.

I only have one Nerite snail in the tank. Trying to get rid of these eggs.

Attached Files:

9. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Theyre pond or bladder snails and both are prolific breeders.

10. Rtessy

Yes those are the snails, definitely pond snails... Do you have pics of the eggs?

11. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I thought those were eggs. They don't seem to move.

12. Rtessy

Those look like baby pond snails to me, but if they're not moving or anything then it's just nerite eggs. And nerite eggs don't hatch in freshwater, but they're sooo hard to get off of stuff.

13. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Well, when I was trying to get rid of them I had to use a razor blade to scrape them off cuz they wouldn't move at all. I spent yesterday checking back on them and all the ones on the driftwood (I found more, lot more) and in that corner haven't moved at all. I can probably get a picture of the driftwood here in a while.

14. Rtessy

Oh that's definitely nerite eggs then, nothing much to worry about, just really annoying

15. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Out off all the snails I've had in the past this random one turns out to be the one that lays egg. Now my poor betta is out it's only clean up crew.

16. Rtessy

Just to say, if this is a betta tank, you probably won't have a pond snail problem pretty soon... lol. At least, that's where I unload some of mine