Snail Eating Shrimp - Normal? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Whatisacanada, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Whatisacanada

WhatisacanadaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    1 year
    I added a big group of ghost shrimp to one of my tanks today, and because of all past experiences I’ve had with them I expected a few to die.
    Though this time I drip accilmated the shrimp for an hour (someone reccomeneded this to me, I can’t remeber if it was here or another group) so I was hoping for better results.
    Tonight as I was getting ready to go to bed I checked to see if any had died, and none had, but one was almost dead.
    I walked in just in time to see the end of a battle between a shrimp and my mystery snail!
    I’ve never seen her attack the shrimp that were there before the new adds so this blew my mind. Then after it stopped fighting back she started eating it! Is this normal snail behavior??

2. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Experience:
    2 years
    are you feeding your mystery snail any protein? they need protein in their diet. and calcium, which the shell of the shrimp also has. it sounds like your snail is hungry.

3. OP
    OP
    Whatisacanada

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    1 year
    They eat algae, leftover fish food (I feed a little extra because I know they eat it up right away) and veggies like zucchini. Should I be giving them something extra?

4. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Experience:
    2 years
    i'd give them something like shrimp pellets and some cuttlebone to munch on for calcium. and dead ghost shrimp, i guess. lol.

sorry about that, btw. i just lost a ghost shrimp and have lost some in the past. it's sad one just straight up disappeared.

5. OP
    OP
    Whatisacanada

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    1 year
    Sorry to hear about your shrimp too. When I first added the ghost shrimp to my tank I lost 4/6, and three of them were in the first night. But since the last two have been doing well I decided it was safe to try to add them again. So far so good aside from the one that became a snail snack

6. NickAu

NickAuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +701
    There was something seriously wrong with that shrimp if a mystery snail caught and ate it.

7. OP
    OP
    Whatisacanada

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    1 year
    Not sure how it happened. As I came in and noticed it the shrimp was still fighting a little bit, and almost got away, but died immediately after.

My other snail is now eating it too as my purple mystery has given up on it. I guess they are missing some things in their diet. I’ll have to work on that right away

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019
  8. NickAu

NickAuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +701
    I do not know why your shrimp are dying but I do know your snails are doing a great job eating dead any dying shrimp just as nature intended

9. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the snail is just doing what a snail's gotta do. As already mentioned, I suspect the shrimp might have been on its last legs already, before the snail caught up to it.