Snail eating fish.

1. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Hello so I bought a fake plant secondhand. I didn't boil it, I was new and didn't know I was supposed to, and when I transfered it to my tank I got snails. I was wondering if there is any snail eating fish for a 20 gallon long tank. Thanks in advance.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Rather than add a fish, I would work on getting the snails out yourself. You can place slices of cucumber or zucchini in the tank at night and remove them in the morning. Alternatively, you can place algae wafers in a submerged plastic bottle and remove the bottle with the snails in it the next morning. Assassin snails will also work if you don't have any snails you want to keep in there.

3. Aquarium Newb Member Member

I was looking for fish because ive tried removing them myself. I have tried just picking them off when I see them, I make sure to remove any eggs I see, i have used the cucumber method, and I have tried pulling out all of my ornaments and taking them off. I take out 15+ a day. I was hoping to not have to get another snail but an assassin snail will eat them? How big do they get?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Try the bottle method - maybe it'll work well for you!

Assassins stay pretty small - definitely not as big as mystery snails.

5. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Okay I'll try that tonight, and I'll post how well it works tomorrow

6. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Update: I just pulled the bottle out of the tank, and i got about 20. I have only had to remove a few from my tank by hand, thank you so much that worked amazing! At this rate I should have much more snails!

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd repeat it for a few days to get the stragglers :)