Snail dead?

1. kittykat0725 Member Member

I got a golden apple snail about 4 days ago. For the first few days he moving around out of his shell, then yesterday he stoped moving as much, but was still moving a bit and eating cuccumbers. But since last night he has been staying in one place half out of his shelled looking curled up. This morning I smelled him and he smells a little weird, but barely. So I can't if he just smells like normal fish tank water and food, or if he smells like he is dead. Any other ways to tell if he's dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Usually if you touch his foot they will retract back in to the shell. Does it move when you take him out of the water?

When the snails die and decompose, their body will lose muscle control and start to "hang out" a bit and eventually the body gets smaller and smaller.

A dead snails smells like rotten eggs/food and every other disgusting thing. You won't forget its smell.

I hope he is just chillin :)

3. kittykat0725 Member Member

I touched his foot and it didnt go in, and he smells like rotten eggs, he's dead. This is my second snail to die in a week, what am I doimg wrong? It is 10 gals, filtered, 78 F, and there's a betta and a frog.
    This is my third to die this week, one of my frogs died, one of my oldest guppies and now the snail.

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi :) Sorry for your losses.

What are your current water parameters? There may be something else going on there with such a variety of losses in a week. How long has the tank been running? Is it cycled?

Your profile seems a little out of date and the info could do with updating :) x

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Is your tank cycled?
    What are your current water parameters? Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates.

There's other factors to be looked at but this is a starting point.

6. kittykat0725 Member Member

Oh the other loses were in different tanks and one of old age. This tank has been running for a few months. Yeah I havent updated my profile for a while.