Snail control questions

ButtercuptheOranda

1. How many times a day to feed mystery snails it seems like whenever I put in a wafer of some sort they devour it so I’ve been feeding mine like twice a day with plenty of wafers that the fish nibble on too and to encourage breeding

2.I have pest nails some pond and rh snails how do I cut back on feeding to get rid of them if I need to feed my mystery snails

3. it’s a 10 gal tank so it can’t fit too many snails I’m thinking about rehousing my future baby snails but should I just let nature take it’s course and keep doing what I’m doing or what I don’t really want any snail besides mystery but I’ll take what I can get

NearMeBettas

I mean, you've gotta feed the mystery snails. If they are not fed they will starve unless there is algae and biofilm to eat on. If the pest snails reproduce you'll just have to remove them.

Shambhalaubie

1. How many times a day to feed mystery snails it seems like whenever I put in a wafer of some sort they devour it so I’ve been feeding mine like twice a day with plenty of wafers that the fish nibble on too and to encourage breeding

2.I have pest nails some pond and rh snails how do I cut back on feeding to get rid of them if I need to feed my mystery snails

3. it’s a 10 gal tank so it can’t fit too many snails I’m thinking about rehousing my future baby snails but should I just let nature take it’s course and keep doing what I’m doing or what I don’t really want any snail besides mystery but I’ll take what I can get

You could try putting some blanched zucchini into the aquarium which pest snails will attach to and then you can remove. However, in my experience this takes a LONG time, and they can breed faster than you can possibly remove. I purchased assassin snails for mine, they have been keeping my pest snail issue at bay for a while now, however I have a 36 gallon aquarium so much bigger than yours. I would give the assassin snail route a try, just one Assassin should get rid of your problem quickly if it is just him in a 10 gallon, and then you can take him back to your LFS for a refund.

ButtercuptheOranda

You could try putting some blanched zucchini into the aquarium which pest snails will attach to and then you can remove. However, in my experience this takes a LONG time, and they can breed faster than you can possibly remove. I purchased assassin snails for mine, they have been keeping my pest snail issue at bay for a while now, however I have a 36 gallon aquarium so much bigger than yours. I would give the assassin snail route a try, just one Assassin should get rid of your problem quickly if it is just him in a 10 gallon, and then you can take him back to your LFS for a refund.
Would the assassin eat my mystery snails?

NearMeBettas

Yes, I would not do that.

I would just manually remove them when they are seen.

Shambhalaubie

I have 3 Assassin snails in my aquarium currently WITH one Nerite zebra snail, and NONE of them have EVER done anything to him. As long as they have a constant food source, they should be fine with any other snails. If they do not, then they will absolutely go after the other snails in the aquarium. If you do not feel comfortable, that is fine too. Go the blanched zucchini way and remove them manually.

Edit: You could also temporarily move the other snails out to another smaller aquarium, while an Assassin is in your aquarium handling the pests, and simply put them back when the job is completed.

ButtercuptheOranda

Yes it will!!! Mine ate my horned Nerite.!
I have 3 Assassin snails in my aquarium currently WITH one Nerite zebra snail, and NONE of them have EVER done anything to him. As long as they have a constant food source, they should be fine with any other snails. If they do not, then they will absolutely go after the other snails in the aquarium. If you do not feel comfortable, that is fine too. Go the blanched zucchini way and remove them manually.

Edit: You could also temporarily move the other snails out to another smaller aquarium, while an Assassin is in your aquarium handling the pests, and simply put them back when the job is completed.
That’s actually a great idea to move the snails thanks! All I have available besides my 20 gal (buttercup will eat the babies and die) is a 5.5 gal is that ok it only has a grandpa betta in it

Shambhalaubie

That’s actually a great idea to move the snails thanks! All I have available besides my 20 gal (buttercup will eat the babies and die) is a 5.5 gal is that ok it only has a grandpa betta in it

I don't think it would be a problem, at all, my friend took on 3 mystery snails from another friend, and they are currently in an aquarium of about 5 gallons as well with a random tetra. It would only be temporary until the pest snail issue is resolved in your 20 gallon, then they can all be moved back. Just make sure they have enough algae to eat in the 5 gallon, between all the snails, and it should be okay.

ButtercuptheOranda

There’s no algae but I’ll make sure theres plenty of food :)

WendiWoo

I read on here once to put the veggies in a bowl and turn out the light. Wait. Then remove the bowl full of pest snails.

ButtercuptheOranda

They’ve risen... lol up I have yet to do anything cause I was on a trip
By the way I know that’s alot of babies for a 10 gal I plan to sell them and have a snail only tank
Well with my honey gourami

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 16

NearMeBettas

They’ve risen... lol up I have yet to do anything cause I was on a trip
By the way I know that’s alot of babies for a 10 gal I plan to sell them and have a snail only tank
Well with my honey gourami
Exciting!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• ittbituni
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Aaronious
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies