Snail community tank

Discussion in 'Snails' started by brodylane1122, Dec 29, 2012.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Ok, so I want to start a small snail tank on my desk at work. I'd like to do MTS, Nerite, Trapdoors, and maybe some other snails (and possibly one assassin snail later on to help keep population down). Two questions arise.

1. I have access to both a 5 and 10 gallon tank. The 5 gallon was my first thought, but is it big enough for a gazillion MTS and several other varieties of snails?

2. What other snails could I put in this tank? I'm looking for a variety.

And this tank will be lightly planted (fed well enough that the snails hopefully don't eat any plants). So I don't want any snails that make plants a meal normally.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'd go with the 10 gallon if you want several varieties.

MTS, tylos, nerites, and a mystery. Of course there are pond and ramshorn too. The assassin snail - I don't know. I'd be afraid of it taking out the non pest snails.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I love this plan :D why I never thought of it idk :( anyways the bigger the better trapdoor snails get just as big as mystery snails so stick to the rule of 1 per 2.5g-5g of water same rule with nerites... so the bigger the better :) you could also do a group of blue ramshorns ( but never mix a different color ramshorn with them it will breed the color out slowly...

You could always Google more snail breeds :) also with assassins I would worry some but you will need a lot of smaller snails (ie MTS/ramshorns) if you ever plan to add assassins and them not go after your larger snails... I recently added 3 mystery snails in my 29g and it house a breeding pair of assassins and their babies :)

4. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Ok, thanks all. I'm definitely going to do at least 1-2 trapdoor and Nerite, and MTS. May think about doing a nice colored Mystery as well.

5. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

When you finish this I would love to see it!

6. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Definitely! But this is a very long term project. Can't imagine having it setup for at least a couple of months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice