Snail Breeding Update Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by TetraKing101, Aug 22, 2019.

1. TetraKing101

TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    I made a post about 2 weeks ago asking about what’s the best method to get my rams horn snails breeding again. I tried add some plants but no luck. I need to keep the colony strong as I am planning on using them as food for my pea puffers. Please share some tips

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What are you feeding them? I feed mine often. Their main food is iceberg lettuce. They get some at the very least every other day. They also get shrimp pellets, algae wafers, both freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex worms, and I alternate between tetra tropical crisps and flakes. I put some of one or another of the list of foods in there each day. They also get zucchini occasionally. Anytime I pull left over zucchini from the tank with the BN pleco it goes into the snail jar.

Just keep them well fed and their numbers should explode.

3. OP
    OP
    TetraKing101

TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    They get hikari crab cuisine but I will definitely try blanched vegetables as I haven’t tried that

4. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Once my assassins took care of the unwanted ramshorns in my main tank I wanted to have some of their favorite food on hand. I found a few ramshorns in one of my filters. I moved them to this 2.5 gallon jar to let them breed to their hearts content and breed they do.

Lots of folks say one can control the number of snails in their tank by not overfeeding the fish. That told me the snail population will explode with an abundance of food. I just make sure there is an abundance of food in the snail jar and so far they have not slowed down. I have plenty of them to keep my assassins well fed.

The snail jar doesn't have a traditional filter. I run an airstone inserted into a pre-filter sponge and have pothos growing out of the top of the jar. Even with over feeding the snails I have never had a problem with ammonia. I do change out 75% of the water weekly but mainly just to remove the snail poop.

Hopefully once you start feeding veggies and possibly a few other things on my list yours too will bless you with lots of little snails.