Snail Behavior

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Leeds0910, Apr 7, 2017.

1. L

Leeds0910 New Member Member

My snail will go up to the top of the water and then just let go!!! Is this normal or is he just having fun?!?!

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

What type of snail? Mystery snails will often do this! If he's not a nystery then idk why

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Mystery Snails do this often.

I don't know of any other snail that does it, but its not exactly out of the ordinary.

4. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

My Apple snail and mystery snail do this. The apple loves to climb on the water out put of my canister filter and fly like superman across the tank in the water flow. Its hilarius!

5. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Even nerites will do this. Pond as well.

6. OP
    OP
    L

I don't really know what kind he is... got him from petsmart

7. fjh

If you post a picture we could tell you ;)
    I think petsmart only sells Nerite and mystery snails. Unless you didn't buy him and he tagged along with something else... then he's probably a pond snail

8. OP
    OP
    L

He doesn't like pics, best I can do right now 1491624707360.jpg

9. fjh

Yep, he's a mystery snail :)

10. OP
    OP
    L

Is that good or bad? He's quite interesting

11. fjh

Depends on your point of view ;) considering you bought him, I'm guessing you want to have a snail lol

I have a few mystery snails, and I love them. They are super active and keep my tankso clean. And they don't reproduce and make me overrun with snails either!

12. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Just make sure you feed him. Mystery snails will munch on algae a little, but need another main food source. They like veggies, zucchini is a good choice. Just cook it just enough to make it soft and drop it in the tank. Remove it the next day or so.

13. ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior Valued Member Member

My nerite snails will do that sometimes. It's normal

14. OP
    OP
    L

Well, my mom bought him and kinda left him with me, so him and 4 neon tetras, and an albino pleco made it into the tank with my betta... they are all one big happy family

15. F

Ferretlady Valued Member Member

Until here recently, I never realized what utterly fascinating creatures snails are! Some of the videos I've seen of mystery snails are so wonderful! I hope to have a few of these myself, once my tank is ready!

16. fjh

LOL nice mom ;D
    You do have some stocking problems if you want to discuss it

17. OP
    OP
    L

Sure, as you can tell I don't know a whole lot about healthy tanks...

They have them in all colors at petsmart!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  18. fjh

No problem! That's why we are all here - to learn and help!

First of all, how large is your tank?
    Do you know what type of pleco you have? (Albino bn pleco, albino common pleco, etc)
    Your tetras are schooling fish, and should be kept in groups of 6+, with 8+ being preferable (larger the school, less stress the fish will be and happier/healthier/longer their lives will be). In addition, tetras in general should be housed in 20g+ for swimming space (though you can get away with smaller tanks with the smaller tetra).
    Depending on the type of pleco, he might outgrow your tank. Plecos also have a large bioload (just fyi)

19. OP
    OP
    L

It's a 10 gallon tank... he is an albino bristle nose pleco

20. fjh

Oki dokies
    I would get some more neon tetras. A bn pleco should be fine for a 10g :) neons are a smaller tetra, so while they would be happier in a larger tank, I don't think you'll have any problems in a 10g...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice