Snail Battle Question 

loachlovers

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently began taking care of the fish tank at my chiropractors office and it has thousands of these snails that are long and come to a sharp point at the top. They want me to get rid of them because they are completely covering the tank. I asked them how long they've the snails because there are so many of them. They just told me that about a two years after they set up the tank they just appeared. They didn't get any new fish or any live plants so they weren't stow aways. I'm kind of baffled by this mystery. The clown loach won't eat them either. How did they get there and how do i get rid of these things? Its a snail battle for sure.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome to fishlore! is the tank planted? if so they came in on them. they most likely are malaysian trumpet snails. they can breed very fast if the have a good food source, ie, someone has been overfeeding the fish.

you could put a piece of lettuce in, and see if you can get the to get on it, then take the whole thing out. do this at night, and take it out first thing in the morning, before turning on the lights.

some of those snails are ok, i have some.....i have taken out some babies...but it can get out of hand quickly. as you have seen.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are they conical, kind of like an ice cream cone? If so, they are malaysian trumpet snails and IIRC, clown loaches don't like them that much. If they're more football shaped, they're probably pond snails and I think clown loaches like them.

I have no idea how they could've just shown up after two years. Maybe their memory of the timeline is off or something?

They need to cut back on feeding because the snail population will explode if there's a lot of food around.

You can try weighing down a lettuce leaf and leaving it over night. The snails will crawl onto it and you can remove the leaf in the morning and throw it away. Repeat until they're all gone.

Another option is the assassin snail. It hunts down and eats other snails and then eats algae once the snails are gone.

-Lisa

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My advice: ignore them. Actually, these snails are beneficial and many people actually buy them for their tanks. I'm guessing that the snail explosion is caused by overfeeding. All that leftover food gets left behind after the fish, and at night, the snails come out and party.

Solution: feed less, and the snails will slowly starve off into more beneficial (and unnoticable) numbers.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Take a small clean glass mason jar sink it in the tank with a a piece of lettuce or cucumber, and let it sit overnight. IN the morning take the jar out, and it should be full of snails. this works very well. Just check to make sure you did not take any fish with you lol.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads