Question Snail and shrimp diet concerns (also betta)

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have two tanks. One with one mystery snail (2g) and one with 1 betta fish (5g) I recently added one ghost shrimp to each tank.

I have made snail jello before and still have quite a bit left. But I'm worried about my betta fish eating it and getting fat/sick. And I'm also worried about if it has the right nutrient for the shrimp. Heres whats in my current snello (I do want to make more soon because I didn't incorporate the calcium well and need to add more bloodworms because that's the one food my snail will eat right away)
- canned green beans (no salt added)
- cuttlebone/egg powder (for calcium)
- betta fish food pellets
- dried bloodworms (which my snail will eat by itself, I need to add more in the next batch)
- gelatine

In my next batch, I want to add
- even more bloodworms
- more calcium, maybe some tums if the snail and shrimp eat it
- Cucumber (if they snail and shrimp eat it)
- shrimp food (because I bought some)
- Spirulina (not sure what it is but heard is very beneficial)

My betta fish will try and eat the snail food if I put it in there even when I just fed him.

What ingredient do you suggest/use in your own tanks?

Zachsnanotanks

Reaction score
gregoranddexter1816 said:
So I have two tanks. One with one mystery snail (2 gallon) and one with 1 betta fish (5 gallon) I recently added one ghost shrimp to each tank.

I have made snail jello before and still have quite a bit left. But I'm worried about my betta fish eating it and getting fat/sick. And I'm also worried about if it has the right nutrient for the shrimp. Heres what's in my current snello (I do want to make more soon because I didn't incorporate the calcium well and need to add more bloodworms because that's the one food my snail will eat right away)
- canned green beans (no salt added)
- cuttlebone/egg powder (for calcium)
- betta fish food pellets
- dried bloodworms (which my snail will eat by itself, I need to add more in the next batch)
- gelatine

In my next batch, I want to add
- even more bloodworms
- more calcium, maybe some tums if the snail and shrimp eat it
- Cucumber (if they snail and shrimp eat it)
- shrimp food (because I bought some)
- Spirulina (not sure what it is but heard is very beneficial)

My betta fish will try and eat the snail food if I put it in there even when I just fed him.

What ingredient do you suggest/use in your own tanks?
Fresh garlic and cucumbers the snail will love it and the Betta won't bother also I'm not 100% sure on this but hard boiled eggs for the snail and maybe even the Betta my 55 gallon tetra tank with about 50-60 fish get an egg a week with some cucumbers and they eat it throughout the week so I'm only have to feed them once every week I'd supplement a smaller amount for just a snail and Betta conciderding my 50+ fish do fine with one whole egg

OP
gregoranddexter1816

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Zachsnanotanks said:
Fresh garlic and cucumbers the snail will love it and the Betta won't bother also I'm not 100% sure on this but hard boiled eggs for the snail and maybe even the Betta my 55 gallon tetra tank with about 50-60 fish get an egg a week with some cucumbers and they eat it throughout the week so I'm only have to feed them once every week I'd supplement a smaller amount for just a snail and Betta conciderding my 50+ fish do fine with one whole egg
Oh wow! Eggs and garlic! I've heard that strong smells attract shrimp and snails. My snail really doesn't eat cucumber. Ive tried on more than one occasion. Ill try the garlic and a little piece of egg in my next feeding. I usually do (what I call) a MEAL sized feeding every other or every couple days. More days il just toss in a algae wafer for them to munch on throughout the day.

New Threads