snail and frog in tank

deniz

Reaction score
i have just added 2 aquatic dwarf frogs and an apple snail to my tank but the problem is one of the fish bit the snails tentacles off. the snail dont seem too bothered at the moment i understand that they might grow back but will it be a problem in the long run??? also the 2 frogs dissappered when i put them in. i found one hiding in the plants and the other got itseldf sucked in to the filter. we thought it had had it but after turning the filter of we managed to free it. will this be a constant problem. we have 5 goldfish and 2 algea eaters in tank.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish are coldwater fish and the others are tropical so you should either return the goldfishes or the frogs, snails, and the 2 algae eaters to the petstore.

deniz

Reaction score
when i bought the snail and frogs i was told by the pet shop that they can live in cold water. also on a site it says the same thing that they can live with goldfish.

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
It most likely will be a problem. As they grow (and they will substantially, I hope you have a very large tank), most goldfish will find small critters such as snails and frogs as nice snacks or simple toys. I wouldn not keep them all together in one tank.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also, 2 algae eaters with a snail is not good unless you have a large tank. How big is your tank?

deniz

Reaction score
my tank is 48x18x12

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
you have roughly a 40gal tank. It depends on what kind of algae eaters they are so we know how big they will get. Also with 2 you have to make sure they are fed enough because they are notorious for sucking on the other fish on the tank especially when they get bigger. Just a few things to think about.

deniz

Reaction score
i think they are chinese algea eaters i originally bought 3 2years ago but one just dissappered and has not been seen in over a year. the bright orange one is always out but the darker one wont come out till the lights are off. they like cucumber and so does the fish. i have now given the snail and frogs a seperate tank.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chinese Algae Eaters!!!!!! They are known to be territorial with other fish and they will probably kill your frogs. The other fishes could also get damaged scales from them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom