Smelly Water After Moving To New State

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Roxylou, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Roxylou

RoxylouValued MemberMember

I've had this little Betta fish since December, but 12 days ago moved from Wisconsin to Indiana. She (Zuzu) made the move fine. I have her set up nice, and have been checking all the levels, and doing partial water changes. The 5 gallon tank never smelled off at all before. Now when I walk in this temporary basement apartment, I smell fishy water. It's not horrid, but it worries me. I put a brand new topfin filter cartridge in when I set her up, rinsing it in the tank water I had saved from her original tank. I put two gallons of her original water in the tank, with new, treated water (Prime) and the temperature is holding at 78/9.
    The ph's are fine, the ammonia is a little high, so I change two gallons of water about every two days. The Nitrate is normal, as is Nitrite.
    If the levels remain good, should I just wait this out?
    I looked through the question area about smelly water, but didn't see any specifically related to moving to a new state with different water.
    Thanks!

2. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

May just be your tank and filtration "rebalancing" after the move.

Are you sure it's not a ventilation issue? Maybe in your old place you had more air movement to disperse the odor?

EDIT: Yeah if ammonia is high ... then you don't have the bacteria you had previously built up. You need to get it down, whatever it is ... or lock it up with PRIME ... other than that I'd wait until everything is stabile to see if the odor goes away.

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

If the ammonia is high, you should really try doing more frequent water changes, I'd do every day until it goes below 1ppm (only if you have prime) then dose prime. The goal ammonia level for fish-in cycling is 0.25 or less

4. OP
    OP
    Roxylou

ok. The level isn't very high, but it's not really low enough. I am just so worried about this new water. I am using Prime, so I will do a partial water change every day for a while.
    One thing I did before the 8 hour drive was put all the substrate in a bucket with some of the original water, including the filter. I read somewhere that that would be a good idea. But maybe I should take everything out and wash it then put it back in. I don't know. Thanks. Gonna do a water change and siphon righ tnow.

5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Putting it in the bucket was the right thing, it's a shame the bacteria didn't quite make it. If you wash the media, make sure to do it either in old tank water or dechlorinated water, good luck!

6. Piaelliott

PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

As far as I understood, you threw the filter media out and replaced it with a new one.
    You lost most of your cycle, never replace the media!!!

You can also add a lot of fast growing plants, especially floating plants like water lettuce, frogbkt and hornwort. They suck ammonia out of the water and bettas like live plants.

7. OP
    OP
    Roxylou

I just started siphoning, and I was blown away at how much junk was coming up!!!! I did a complete water change and hope that helps. It's hard to say about the ventilation, because this is so poorly insulated I have spent my own money putting foam strips around the door to prevent the wind, and other weather-proofing. It is very cold for me, but her heater keeps her warm. Now I guess I will have to go through a whole cycle thang....

oh jeez. I just did everything wrong.
    Let me explain what I did for the move. I took the rocks and plastic plants and put them in a jar with some of the original water. I kept the filter wet, didn't wash it, in a ziplock bag. But I did replace the filter that went in it.
    Now that we are settled I will be getting real plants, and maybe a snail. I knew I was moving and didn't want to spend the money in case they died during the transition. That was probably a mistake too. I am having trouble now with this heater... unplugging it always causes it to have to be reset... it's got a calibration feature which is very difficult to manage.
    Man, I hope we get through this....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  8. Piaelliott

Once you get plants, cycling will be fine :)
    You might have some beneficial bacteria left on your rocks, etc.
    I never use those replacable filter inserts. I stuff a foam filter in there and it will last for years. Google customizing HOB filters and you'll get ideas.

Do you have a Jaeger Trutemps heater? They are a pain to calibrate but are very reliable and great once they work.

9. OP
    OP
    Roxylou

I do have that heater. I unplug it to do water changes, and then it gets all screwed up, and I have to mess around with it, getting water everywhere. Poor Zuzu is sitting in a jar right now, until I get the temp back up and stable....
    I washed all the rocks with de-chlorinated water, they were filthy with filmy flakes of cream colored material, as well as black stuff... I suspect stuff grew during the drive, and when I put water in, they went nuts. So we will be starting over, as if she just came home from the store. She's a tough cooky though... I just feel bad for all the stress...

10. Piaelliott

Good luck! I have 5 Eheim heaters and never have a problem if I unplug them - maybe it is defect.

11. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

If nothing else, the cycling should still be at least a little shorter (even by just a few days) because there will still be some BB somewhere in the tank and you just have to grow the numbers up again. You may want to try and contact the company about the heater, sounds like a hassle, they will likely send a replacement since it is a defect. I have replaceable cartridges in my filters, I just cut out the carbon and don't replace them lol. It's really only the carbon that needs replacement 99% of the time anyway. You can just leave in the flossy stuff until it literally falls apart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice