Smelly Tank

Popster

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I currently have a small box filter as well as a Matten filter in my fry grow out tank for 8 days now. Yip not long enough given that there was little to no starter culture fro the Matten filter. I am sure though that the box filter has good bacteria in.

The tanks is real smelly (I do have an over developed sense of smell which is problematic), I am changing roughly 30% water per day but still smelly. I did notice that the smell predominately emanates from the the area where the matten filter is. Is this common?

I vacuum now very frequently and was wonder if this was not robbing the Matten filter of ammonia with which to cycle?

I have put in charcol but it remains smelly.

So as a final thought the tank is 7.5g and has only guppy's in, about 300 in total.
About 25% around 1" long
About 50% around 3/4 inch
25% at 1/2"

Perhaps I am expecting too much from this small tank?

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Popster said:
I currently have a small box filter as well as a Matten filter in my fry grow out tank for 8 days now. Yip not long enough given that there was little to no starter culture fro the Matten filter. I am sure though that the box filter has good bacteria in.

The tanks is real smelly (I do have an over developed sense of smell which is problematic), I am changing roughly 30% water per day but still smelly. I did notice that the smell predominately emanates from the the area where the matten filter is. Is this common?

I vacuum now very frequently and was wonder if this was not robbing the Matten filter of ammonia with which to cycle?

I have put in charcol but it remains smelly.

So as a final thought the tank is 7.5g and has only guppy's in, about 300 in total.
About 25% around 1" long
About 50% around 3/4 inch
25% at 1/2"

Perhaps I am expecting too much from this small tank?
Yeah, 300 guppys in a 7.5 gallon tank, you should upgrade them to at least a 20 gallon if they are all baby’s, if you can I would do 29+ though.

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your numbers are correct, you've got over 200 inches of fish in a 7.5 gallon tank. I know the one inch per gallon thing is just a very rough guide, but I think by any reasonable standard you have a massively overstocked tank. I would imagine there's no shortage of ammonia for the Matten filter. The Matten filter is probably wicking a good bit of the smelly water to above the water line and making it more obvious.

OP
Popster

Popster

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok,

So I filled the 16g tank with water from my 75 gallon community tank. I vacuumed up some sand at the same time to get bacteria into the system.
I took the filter media from the existing box filter in the grow out tank and squeezed all the gunk onto the Matten filter in the 16g.

The water turned cloudy and brown due to all the matter in the sand so I made a tank scrubber which worked a real treat. I am just concerned that the scrubber sucked up all the good bacteria.

I am hoping with that kick start that the tank will cycle real quick.

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Popster said:
I am hoping with that kick start that the tank will cycle real quick.
Remember the bacteria also need something to munch on or they won't spread. You need an ammonia source to feed them. I would imagine regularly moving some water from your current grow out tank to the new tank would probably do the trick.

OP
Popster

Popster

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This morning the ladies looked good. Colour was good, movement was good, they had an appetite, fins were nice and erect and body movement was positive. So far so good.

Hoping to move the fry sooner rather than later.

New Threads