Smelly Tank

Elaine12

Reaction score
I have two 15 gallon tanks and one 36 gallon tank. I had a issues with fin rot in my 36 so I put the fish in my empty 15 to medicate with melafix . Once they were well I moved them back to the 36 4 angels , a platy, and 2 cories. I have done a water change on the 15 and put the carbon back in but it smells horrible!! It start on day 5 of treatment so I thought it was because there was no filter. I was doing water changes every other day while they were in there. Please help it’s in my bedroom and I can’t stand the smell.

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The stink is probably coming from bacterial die off. If I were you I'd change the water out a little at a time every other day until the stink goes away.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fact you have problems with fin rot and your tank smells, it points toward bad water conditions. Do you have an API Test Kit? What are your test readings?

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you gravel vacuumed? Is there anything trapped somewhere?
I'd get filter cartridges without carbon so you can still use your filter during meds. Or better yet, forego cartridges altogether. You can make your own cartridge with reusable media too.

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you gravel vacuumed? Is there anything trapped somewhere?
I'd get filter cartridges without carbon so you can still use your filter during meds. Or better yet, forego cartridges altogether. You can make your own cartridge with reusable media too.
Ooh. Any links on that?

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ooh. Any links on that?
Cheap Homemade Aquarium Filter
DIY Filter Cartridges

You can buy media bags and put in filter pads or thin sponges or, depending on space in your filter, biorings/ceramic rings, etc.
There are pre-made cartridges that you can fill up as well. They're probably not sold in chain stores because they want you to be a cartridge slave (probably why they don't sell sponge or box filters).

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cheap Homemade Aquarium Filter
DIY Filter Cartridges

You can buy media bags and put in filter pads or thin sponges or, depending on space in your filter, biorings/ceramic rings, etc.
There are pre-made cartridges that you can fill up as well. They're probably not sold in chain stores because they want you to be a cartridge slave (probably why they don't sell sponge or box filters).
Thanks. That's real useful stuff to work with.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 38.5%

Top Bottom