Smaug the Dragonscale Plakat

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by waterlilykari, Jul 21, 2015.

1. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

After the passing of our betta buddy, we were all upset but my son was especially heartbroken so I finally gave in and took him to a place in the city I knew had better selection than our local place, intending to rescue one of their poor bettas from the tiny cups they sold them in. Smaug was the result (named after the dragon from The Hobbit because he is a DRAGONscale Plakat betta)

He was so happy with his new buddy that I caught him snuggling the bag while I paid for an orchid from the flower shop that shares the building.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437460472.454724.jpg
    Smaug as he was starting to explore his new home:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437460438.804506.jpg
    My son rearranged the entire shelf to be able to have the book he made in 2nd grade about dragons and his Lego dragon there to keep Smaug company:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437460594.286267.jpg
    And he insisted I get a shot of it "in the moonlight too," lol:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437460740.055001.jpg
    My son still has yet to settle on a background unfortunately but either way, we're happy to have him and excited to see what his personality is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Great betta. Very nice colors and scales
    Let's see, since you were paying for orchids, you got them at 6TH AVENUE. :D
    They have awesome bettas there ;)
    Make sure to have a lid on at all times, plakats WILL JUMP

:)

3. OP
    OP
    w

*Ding*ding*ding* We have a winner! Yes, it was 6th Avenue. I swear, my son stood in the corner where they have their bettas for at least a half an hour checking them all out, comparing them, narrowing his choices down, changing him mind and starting all over again...and again...and again. I finally just grabbed a random one that he had been considering and started talking the betta up as much as I could: "Look at this one! I've never seen another with this coloring before! The dragon scales are absolutely perfect, not patchy like the ones I've seen in other stores! And he's so active too! Look how healthy he is! I bet he would just love a nice, roomy tank like ours! What should we name him? What should we decorate his tank like?"...and so on. The guy behind the counter was clearly having a hard time trying to stifle his laughter at my desperation. I kept it up as I made a beeline to the register, paid and was out the door before my son could second guess "our" choice again, haha.

For the record, there is a lid but with an opening in the center by where the light is. (Look up the Fluval Spec V on their site if you want to see what I mean) Because the light is so close over the opening, I don't think it will be an issue. If you think I should alter it anyway, I will find a way to close or cover the opening somehow.

4. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I have more than a dozen of the Fluval Spec tanks and no bettas have tried to jump out that way. Nice looking betta, I had one named Smaug once before, as well as Ancalagon.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh, such pretty betta! I'm so glad you guys found someone new to keep your son company! :)

6. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I need to find out where 6th avenue gets their fish...
    I've seen a PURE black plakat their once. I also saw a HUGE female, and it was only $1.99
    6th avenue has some good quality stuff for cheap prices and good deals
    1 Platy for $1. 5 platies for $4

:)

7. OP
    OP
    w

Imported to the owners here from family in Japan was what my brother was told when he asked that same question. That's why he can't go and order something specific he wants for his tank or put a reserve on a fish they are expecting to get soon since they really never know what will be available till it arrives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice