Smart fish... Which ones?

1. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I am going to have to say, my Zebra Danios!

These guys are super smart! They know when food is going to be served ( me turning off the filters have them racing to the top of the tank )
    None of my other fish ( even Angel ) seem to notice its feeding time but the Danios ALWAYS know!

And get this! My 1.5 month old Zebra danio fry do the same thing! As soon as I come up to the tank, they already recognize me and "wait" for their food ( again the filter turning off is the official signal )

I think these guys are great!!!!

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

How awesome! My platies do the same! They always know when it's feeding time. I do the same thing with turning off the filters and they swim to the top to be the first ones. Even if I get close to the tank they race to the top. Including their fry they are always ready. My platies usually know when it's feeding time , I feed them in the morning around 9am and 8pm at night and they are swimming around the top cause they know it's feeding time. Usually my other fish take a while for them to notice I fed them, while the platies are munching all the food which is kinda funny . But it's so fun watching them eat!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. SW5 Well Known Member Member

I always love when my fish figure things out. My DG knows the time of day I feed him, and is cruising around just waiting to get fed. And when I open the lid, he stalks my hand and sometimes leaps at it. Then he proceeds to sort of squirt water at my fingers from his mouth and he always manages to knock at least a few flakes from my hand.
    I just love smart fish! ;D

4. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Isn't that funny? Who knew that my Zebra's were "mensa" smart????????

All my other fish are completely oblivious!!! Really! The Tetras, Angel, Pleco, catfish... None of them even "care" when the signal comes on..... Weird! You would think after a few times they would know!

5. mg13 Well Known Member Member

when I was younger, I had a Betta named Jackson, who learned that "Jackson Jump!" Means "Time For Food!"

lol, I tried to train him to jump, cause none of my bettas ever jump, and I made the mistake of saying it, and then throwing in the food. I thought he would jump by himself. How in the world I expected him to know what that meant? I have no clue. lol

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Even though I am probably just a "big piece of food" from the other side of the glass, it still makes me feel appreciated that they take the time to come and greet me! :)

7. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Fish are not " smart " , but are fairly simple beings with the sole purpose in life of eating and breeding.
    They will however learn by association .

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Wait, you think they think you are food and not their goddess of fish food? You underestimate their adoration LOL

9. WhiteWulfe Member Member

I swear my guppies give me their version of "puppy eyes" when I wake up in the morning and first walk past their tank, even though they know they aren't being fed for another hour or so. Of course they only do this for a few seconds, but if I'm even two minutes late putting food in I've heard what sounds like impatient splashing sounds!

10. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing

11. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

My ranchus and Flowerhorn wont move away from the glass when they know its time to be fed, they are like little puppies.

12. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't care what anyone says about my zebra danios. They are geniuses and super smart :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I don't know if my fish are "smart" but they certainly make associations faster than my dog....

14. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I find cichlids to seem more adapt at seemingly "smart" behavior. They certainly have more personality.