Smallest tank for shrimp

Danni524

I've been wanting to set up a nano planted tank and thought about adding some shrimp (not sure which kind), but I was wondering what size tank would be good. I wanted to do either a 1.5g or 2g. If those are too small for shrimp, are there any little fish or other aquatic things that woul dbe okay for that sized tank? If there's nothing, I'm fine with doing just a planted tank.

flyinGourami

You could do some cherry shrimp, amano or ghost shrimp. I don't know any others but there might be. I don't see a nerite being a problem in that tank size. Other than that I can't really think of anything, brine shrimp can work but I've never had long term success keeping them.

Upvote 0

Alliebaaba

You can do a betta as they love planted tanks! But if you do I recommend at least a 2 but it would be wonderful to have a 3 or 5. I have one Inna three gallon planted tank if you would like a reference. Three is honestly no much bigger than a two but when you add the plants and substrate your two would be more of a 1.5 gal. I hope I am not being too confusing. You can do dwarf shrimp in a two gallon. But they like driftwood for the algae and you would have to get it as stable as possible. You will need a heater, filter, lid, etc for which ever options you pick. As they can jump out. Shrimp are very vulnerable to changes in the water. So but if you are up for the challenge I don't think you would regret either option. A small nerite snail will also help with the algae so I would add one to which ever option you go with. Personally if you want to add a something besides plants, I'd upgrade to a 5gallon...sorry for the miss information earlier. I edited it out. I know my local Petco will be holding the 1 per gallon sale in June so maybe you can look for a bigger tank then to plant up and have fish. Once again I apologise about my original miss information. Please forgive I am learning also.

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

You can do a betta as they love planted tanks! But if you do I recommend at least a 2 but it would be wonderful to have a 3 or 5. I have one Inna three gallon planted tank if you would like a reference. Three is honestly no much bigger than a two but when you add the plants and substrate your two would be more of a 1.5 gal. I hope I am not being too confusing. You can do dwarf shrimp in a two gallon. But they like driftwood for the algae and you would have to get it as stable as possible. Heater, filter, lid, etc. As they can jump out. Shrimp are very vulnerable to changes in the water. So but if you are up for the challenge I don't think you would regret either option. You could upgrade to a three gallon and do male or female guppies or endlers. Not both but one or the other. You could keep two to three but you would have to stay on top of water changes. I hope this helps
I would not put a betta in a 2 gallon tank, and I would not for guppies and endlers either. I think bettas should have at least a 3 ideally 5 gallon tank and endlers should have a 5, guppies maybe 5 but really 10 gallons is ideal. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Alliebaaba

I would not put a betta in a 2 gallon tank, and I would not for guppies and endlers either. I think bettas should have at least a 3 ideally 5 gallon tank and endlers should have a 5, guppies maybe 5 but really 10 gallons is ideal. Just my opinion.
Sorry for the confusion I did say at least a 3 or 5. I am sorry if I was confusing.

Upvote 0

peddidle

Guppies and endlers should be minimum 10g, some may even say 20g. It’s not solely about bioload; you have to also consider activity level and swimming pattern, among other things. Betta depends on type. One more weighed down with long fins and tail will be less active than one with shorter fins and tail. Either way, you’ll generally find 5g to be considered the minimum. I had mine in a 3.7g and found it to be too small (upgraded to 7.5g). Amanos get larger than other dwarf shrimp, up to 2 inches. They’re also quite active, though will stick to their favorite spot for much of the time. I’m not sure how small of a tank they should be in—my guess would be 5g at minimum. Mine are in a 20g, which I know is larger than the minimum size (had them in a 10g previously and it was also plenty big for them—I have 3 amanos). I think the idea of plants only is a good one, and you could probably add snails (though I don’t know enough about them to feel very confident about this suggestion). Personally, I’d find it difficult to resist upgrading to a 5g and getting a betta.

Upvote 0

Danni524

Guppies and endlers should be minimum 10g, some may even say 20g. It’s not solely about bioload; you have to also consider activity level and swimming pattern, among other things. Betta depends on type. One more weighed down with long fins and tail will be less active than one with shorter fins and tail. Either way, you’ll generally find 5g to be considered the minimum. I had mine in a 3.7g and found it to be too small (upgraded to 7.5g). Amanos get larger than other dwarf shrimp, up to 2 inches. They’re also quite active, though will stick to their favorite spot for much of the time. I’m not sure how small of a tank they should be in—my guess would be 5g at minimum. Mine are in a 20g, which I know is larger than the minimum size (had them in a 10g previously and it was also plenty big for them—I have 3 amanos). I think the idea of plants only is a good one, and you could probably add snails (though I don’t know enough about them to feel very confident about this suggestion). Personally, I’d find it difficult to resist upgrading to a 5g and getting a betta.

I might wait for the dollar per gallon sale like Alliebaaba said. I'm like you, I'd probably find it hard not to add a betta. I love them so much. I currently have one in a 5g, but am nervous about adding shrimp in case he eats them. He already has a mystery snail in with him that he eyes a lot. No bites yet, but I feel shrimp he'd eat right away.

Upvote 0

Alliebaaba

I might wait for the dollar per gallon sale like Alliebaaba said. I'm like you, I'd probably find it hard not to add a betta. I love them so much. I currently have one in a 5g, but am nervous about adding shrimp in case he eats them. He already has a mystery snail in with him that he eyes a lot. No bites yet, but I feel shrimp he'd eat right away.
I would try ghost shrimp then. They are glass like so they might not get his attention as much. Also if he does eat them then we'll you only spent 25¢ per shrimp

Upvote 0

Danni524

I would try ghost shrimp then. They are glass like so they might not get his attention as much. Also if he does eat them then we'll you only spent 25¢ per shrimp
I'll look into them then. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Alliebaaba

No problem!
You could also do cleaner shrimp as they are Cherry Shrimp but without the colors

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

You could also do cleaner shrimp as they are Cherry Shrimp but without the colors
Cleaner shrimp? What do you mean? I have a feeling its not really cherry shrimp without colors(cherries are neocaridina).

Upvote 0

Sorg67

At my Petco, the $1 per gallon sale applies to 10 to 29 gallon. Other sizes are on sale, but not $1 per gallon. I think I paid around $50 for my 40 breeder. Smalle tanks are more also. But it may vary at different stores.

Upvote 0

-Mak-

For display, a handful of cherries in a 1.5 should be no problem. For breeding I'd go for at least 2 gallons, even more is better. Amanos need at least 3 gallons imo, they're very active

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

Hope no one gets offended by this, but tank size is opinion. Whatever you do, in the end its up to you.

Upvote 0

Willj626

A 2 gallon would be fine for starting a shrimp colony in. The excess population can become Betta treats for your current one if you're comfortable with live feedings.

Upvote 0

KSo

I’m currently awaiting the arrival of my new red cherry shrimp. I have a set up 3.5g, planted with driftwood and rocks. I’ve had smaller betta tanks in the past and this is by far better for planting and decorating. Things don’t get as jammed in. If these guys do well, I will upgrade to a 10g! But these poor dudes will be my first try at shrimp keeping and I’m worried from some of the feedback I’ve received and the constant google searches I keep reading! My intentions are good, but this is all brand new to me. A member made a great comment to me in the past, “this is how we learn”!

Upvote 0

Nmillo83

I have my ghost shrimp in with two female bettas and nerite zebra snail. They’ve been doing well. Keep in mind, two is not a norm for female betta. You should have one or three.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies