smallest size for SW mini reef tank? Question

1. Betafish305ca Member Member

:;google

How small can a SW tank be if you want to use it for a mini reef.... kind of like those nanocube reef tanks, but maybe smaller (and possibly cheaper) if possible???

Also, on a 2nd site note.... if the tube is tall enough, is it possible to have a chiller at the bottom of the tank, and a heater at the top part of the tank? Or would the different from the top to the bottom (or reverse) kill a fish if it made the transition?

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

the smallest ive ever seen that could be "done" are PICO's. 1g up to 5 i think

3. Betafish305ca Member Member

does overstocking apply to reef tanks?

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Absolutely. Even more so than for FW tanks.

5. Mystic54 Member Member

Eventually I would like to start a 5.5 gallon reef tank. I think that would be a perfect size for a "small" reef.

6. Betafish305ca Member Member

5.5 gallons sounds good.... does that sound like a good size??

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sure, but don't expect it to be cheap. I started with a 2.5 gallon and probably had $250 into the setup by the time I upgraded it to a 5.5 gallon. You'll need reef lighting if you want to keep corals, and the corals themselves can be pretty expensive. Also, keep in mind that small reef tanks need a lot of attention. I had to top mine off with FW twice a day because of evaporation (evap causes a rise in salinity). And when things go wrong in a smaller tank, they go wrong quickly and you have to be prepared to deal with problems before your tank crashes.

8. smileyfish Member Member

I have a 5.5 gallon setup and its very nice. I think nano tanks are fun to have if a larger tank is out of the question.

9. Betafish305ca Member Member

ya, i know that the smaller the setup, the harder it is.... but i'm an apartment kid of the next few years, so i can't really go big... would this setup work (roughly??)

Attached Files:

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends entirely on what lighting you have and what you want to keep.

11. Betafish305ca Member Member

any suggestions as to what you strive best in that sort of set up???:;fr

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

13. Betafish305ca Member Member

thanks for the advice.... could i mount lights to the outside of the tank, on the metal supports i have around it? cause its a deep and narrow tank with an iron support i already have... think that might work??

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't understand from your pic what the dimensions of your tank are. Could you measure and post the dimensions? That would really help to think about what lighting would work for you.

15. Betafish305ca Member Member

Okay, oops.... sorry, its;
    L 7.5 inches, W 7.5 inches, H 18 inches

Are zoanthids and mushroom coral? i'm not sure

16. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That's a really odd size... sounds like aquascaping and cleaning would be very difficult. With all the sales going on right now, I would suggest picking up a standard 5.5 gallon or 10 gallon tank.

17. Betafish305ca Member Member

oh, u think so? I was trying to do this size because its something that i have around the house....

18. MizRamzi Well Known Member Member

+1 with Harpua~5.5g tank much better~you'll be glad you did! Just to give you an idea~here's what I've done with my 8g biocube.

Attached Files:

19. Betafish305ca Member Member

type?

20. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Type of what? The standard 5.5s and 10s are all the same dimensions. Just pick up a cheap one.