Smallest Plant Light Available? Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ZeeZ, Apr 21, 2018.

1. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

It's been a few years since I last actively kept aquariums so I am behind on a LOT of trends. I'm seeing all sorts of new names for equipment, especially lighting. LEDs have come a really long way since 2013. I remember when Finnex was an expensive high-end company but now they're just another lighting company.

So my question is, I've got a tank that's less than 1 gallon but I want to turn it into an naturally planted tank with just a light for its equipment. So, what is the smallest available LED light that will grow plants?

2. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

A desk lamp and a 6500K PAR 30.

3. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

That won't work as this will be wall-mounted. :nailbiting:

4. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I would say look into refugium lights.

5. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Oh, that is a brilliant idea. Thanks!

6. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

I had the same issue, I've pretty much concluded there is no widely available, affordable plant light for a 1 gallon tank. I was heavily considering the Chihiros C series, but eventually just made my own industrial pipe lamp as all of the desk lamps I found were a bit unsightly. Link is in my signature if you want to see :)

7. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

WOW! I am drooling over that tank and light! That's some incredible work there. :woot:

What I have is a wall clock aquarium that I'm wanting to turn into a naturally planted tank with no filters so unfortunately it's not easy to find something small enough to light it.

Aquavista-Betta-Fish-Clock-Aquarium-Burgundy-0-1.jpg

However, I think I may have something that may work. It's this particular light but there are no reviews and I've never heard of this company before so I'm uncertain.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Aquarium...4362954&sr=1-22&keywords=refugium+light+6500k

8. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

That's an interesting idea! I'm not sure about the light, I haven't seen it before. Will the clock lay face-up, or be mounted?

9. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I'm going to restart my old blog thread about this but I wanted to ask about lights first before I do that. It will be mounted but I'm moving in June so at least not for a couple of months. I wanted to start gathering things that I'll need for it. Their site currently has a sale on,$20 instead of $37 plus free shipping so I am seriously tempted to go ahead and bite the bullet on this light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice