Smallest non-schooling fish

Mii

Just wondering as i really like planted nano tanks, what are some if the smallest fish that you can keep with only one or two, instead if a whole school???

smee82

Badis are the first that come to mind. Most others school.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Aquariuman said:
Sparklers are not nano fish
perhaps you'd like to explain that to this guy...
sparkling pygmy gourami in a heavily planted tank.
it was an option. perhaps you have something to contribute other than disagreement. :)

Aquariuman

MomeWrath said:
it was an option. perhaps you have something to contribute other than disagreement. :)
Endlers live-bearers there u go

OP
Mii

Mii

DoubleDutch said:
how big is this nanotank?
This is just a hypothetical question, but since i already know plenty of fish that are good in a 10 gallon, I'll say up to 5, but the smaller the fish the better, as I'm looking for really really tiny, about the size fish that a lot of the fish mentioned here are. Pea puffers and badis and stuff. About that size.

Another good option is some of the species of wild betta (the coccina complex comes to mind) only get to like 1-1.5 inches, and are a lot less aggressive than domesticated B.Splendens. so basically a much more peaceful, neon tetra size betta, i really like B.Hendra because of the color, but there's lots of cool ones.

mang0

MomeWrath said:
this setup is so cool! i'd love to recreate it with similar stocking options. what else do you think could go in a 5g like that (with a sparkling gourami)?

jkkgron2

Well Known
mang0 said:
this setup is so cool! i'd love to recreate it with similar stocking options. what else do you think could go in a 5g like that (with a sparkling gourami)?
A peacock gudgeon could work!

jkkgron2

Well Known
mang0 said:
i though they needed like 20g? unless im thinking of something else, correct me if im wrong lol
Yeah, you must be thinking of something else. I have a pair in a divided 10g and they do fine :)

mang0

Mii said:
Another good option is some of the species of wild betta (the coccina complex comes to mind) only get to like 1-1.5 inches, and are a lot less aggressive than domesticated B.Splendens. so basically a much more peaceful, neon tetra size betta, i really like B.Hendra because of the color, but there's lots of cool ones.
where can you get these guys? i feel like they're hard to find!

OP
Mii

Mii

mang0 said:
Internet.

mang0 said:
If you search "buy wild betta by complex" you should get a good site.

Aquariuman said:
Endlers live-bearers there u go
Endlers are cool, social but not schooling i think like 3 in a 3 gallon rank would be cool.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Mii said:
This is just a hypothetical question, but since i already know plenty of fish that are good in a 10 gallon, I'll say up to 5, but the smaller the fish the better, as I'm looking for really really tiny, about the size fish that a lot of the fish mentioned here are. Pea puffers and badis and stuff. About that size.
Only thing is that fishsize isn't the only reference for being a "nanofish" I hate that word to be honest. Also I think a nano tank is something different than simply a small tank. I don't know many fish that will fit in a 5G to be honest.

MacZ

Well Known
MomeWrath said:
The thing is, that sparkling gourami biotopes look somewhat different and usually have a lower pH than that tank likely has. Also to see their full array of behaviour a bigger tank and a few more individuals is definitely the better option.

Didn't FinalFins have one such biotope tank?

Nataku

Well Known
I did a group of 7 sparkling gourami in a species only planted 10 gallon. Which they did great in. But being as sparkling gourami like to be in a group of their own kind, I didn't recommend them here as OP asked for non-schooling fish. Also if the hypothetical tank is only 5 gallons, you'd only have room for maybe 2 sparkling gourami and I feel you'd miss out on a lot of the charm of keeping this species with only two of them. The social interactions of these fish really are like having your own mini soap opera in a tank, which you just really won't get to watch with only one or two individuals.
Screenshot_2018-02-10-16-14-58.png

Another suggest for species that are non-schooling you could keep one or two of - clown killings. These tiny lite things are beautiful and a single pair would be great in a 5 gallon.

OP
Mii

Mii

Nataku said:
I did a group of 7 sparkling gourami in a species only planted 10 gallon. Which they did great in. But being as sparkling gourami like to be in a group of their own kind, I didn't recommend them here as OP asked for non-schooling fish. Also if the hypothetical tank is only 5 gallons, you'd only have room for maybe 2 sparkling gourami and I feel you'd miss out on a lot of the charm of keeping this species with only two of them. The social interactions of these fish really are like having your own mini soap opera in a tank, which you just really won't get to watch with only one or two individuals.

Another suggest for species that are non-schooling you could keep one or two of - clown killings. These tiny lite things are beautiful and a single pair would be great in a 5 gallon.
If you keep 7 in a 10 couldn't 3 sparkling live in a 5?

MomeWrath

Well Known
Hey I am all about learning! Thank you for explaining this so nicely. I officially retract my suggestion. I simply heard planted nano and thought of that video. Seemed to be working for him, but as we all know, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Nataku said:

Nataku

Well Known
Mii said:
If you keep 7 in a 10 couldn't 3 sparkling live in a 5?
Its more a matter of space than bioload. These are small but fairly active fish who will roam and have soap opera level drama fits with each other over every inch of a tank. (Its just drama, they never actually hurt each other) The sparkling gourami made use of every inch of the 10 I had them in and eventually the colony went to go live with someone else who put them in a 33 hex where they continued to use every inch they had available to them. So while they are small, sure, a group really shows off their true nature and beauty in a slightly bigger tank. A 10 is still a small tank, but a colony of them could be much more happily housed in that than a 5.

mang0

Nataku said:

this is great info! could you put anything else in with the clown killis or would that be overstocking? (like a small school of nanofish, or maybe 2+ endlers etc)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
MacZ said:
The thing is, that sparkling gourami biotopes look somewhat different and usually have a lower pH than that tank likely has. Also to see their full array of behaviour a bigger tank and a few more individuals is definitely the better option.
100% agree.

I have nothing against some sparklers in a 5 gallon but behavior in gouramis in larger groups is always so much more amazing and interactive with eachother, and more individuals would require a larger tank.

MacZ said:
Didn't @FinalFins have one such biotope tank?
Nope not here :) I keep eyespot gouramis, which seem to be very similar in care to sparklers though.

kanzekatores

Well Known
Male guppies are also very small
Agree with the endlers and sparklers
Didn’t know badis were so small, I thought they were a taller fish than thinner ones like endlers. Are you referring to scarlet gem?
Ricefish are also very small but they school I think

Zach72202

If you are looking for something rare and I have never seen in person nor heard of anybody having - I know, real promising to find eh - you could do a pair or trio of Pygmy Sunfish. They might cost a bit more online, but you can do a species only tank and they would like the planted tank. I would say 1 in a 5 gallon (or a pair if you plant it heavy), 2 in a 7-8 gallon, 3 in a 10, given you go with a smaller species.

Nataku

Well Known
mang0 said:
this is great info! could you put anything else in with the clown killis or would that be overstocking? (like a small school of nanofish, or maybe 2+ endlers etc)
If the hypothetical tank is a 5 gallon? I wouldn't put any other fish in there. Maybe a few shrimp though, a single snail, and watch antics unfold as the killies try to have a go at the shrimp only to find they aren't actually big enough to do anything to the shrimp! Clown killies are big enough to eat cherry shrimp babies, but adult cherries? Nope.
Besides, keep a pair and if they like the conditions they'll reward you with eggs and then you can hatch out your next generations of killies as the original pair age out.

New Threads