Smallest Freshwater Fish That Eats Snails??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by PredatorAquaticKeeper, Apr 24, 2019.

1. PredatorAquaticKeeper

PredatorAquaticKeeperValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    I'm having a snail infestation on my 5 gallon nano tank. Does anyone have ideas on what kind of freshwater fish I could put in my nano tank, that would at least help keep the snails under control?

Thanks!

2. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    4 years
    The only fish I can think of, would be a yo-yo loach, but their minimum tank size of 30 gal. Sorry buddy, I can’t really help you!

3. BlackOsprey

BlackOspreyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +311
    Pea puffers grow to only an inch long and are voracious snail eaters. Unfortunately, they're incompatible with pretty much any tankmate, so either you turn that 5 gal into a pea puffer tank, or rehome the little guy as soon as he's done devouring your snail problem.

... However, if you simply want a snail eater and you don't need it to be a fish, get an assassin snail. They're just as effective as pea puffers, can't multiply on their own, and could live in a 5 gal easily. And they eat leftover food and detritus when prey snails aren't around.

4. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    4 years
    I agree with @BlackOsprey, what fish do you currently have in the tank?

5. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Might it be easier to thoroughly clean the tank and reduce feedings to tackle the issue directly? That plus an assassin snail could get things under control quickly.

6. OP
    OP
    PredatorAquaticKeeper

PredatorAquaticKeeperValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Currently I have 3 amano shrimp, 4 sparkling gouramis, 2 swamp darters, and a zillion pond/bladder snails. I have two assassin snails, but it's getting to be like they cant even keep up with the open buffet! It's crazy!

One of my friends suggested kuhli loaches, but do they eat snails? I'm not even sure! Lol.

7. BlackOsprey

BlackOspreyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +311
    Kuhlis aren't snail eaters.

I think manual removal would help a lot. Put a piece of veggie or snello in there and take it out in a few hours. it should be coated in snails. Repeat until your buffet becomes more of a dinner for two.

8. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well don't do puffers as they will harass your shrimp and assassin snails to death. I would lean towards the manual thing myself.

9. happyscrub

happyscrubValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +33
    5 gallon tank? Should be **** near impossible to overfeed. You should be able to nearly handfeed anything in there. You can starve the snails out. Maybe 2-3 will survive.

10. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +872
    Drop a piece of cucumber in there, come back in a few hours and remove all the snails stuck to it. Siphon as many of them up during water changes. Doing these together with the assassins should help reduce the population.