Help Small yellow spheres on things in aquarium!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aesmith1992

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Calico Moor fish named Sugar and I cleaned her fish tank about 2.5 weeks ago and found little yellow spheres covering everything except her. I called PetSmart, where I bought her, and they said it may be a fungus but they couldn't be sure. They told me that I should probably put some parasite clear in just to be on the safe side, take everything out and clean it really good, and not to worry about it affecting Sugar. But yesterday, I was checking out the tank and the spheres are coming back! I can't find any information on what it may be on the internet. Any ideas? Thanks bunches!
-Ashley

Tank size: 2.5 Gallons
Fish size: 2 inches
Had tank set up since: Almost a year ago

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome!! Do you know your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Do you have a pic?

It may be snails before they actually become snails, in my tanks they look like little yellow spheres... Or something else though. A pic would be perfect because without this, we are purely guessing.

OP
A

aesmith1992

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do not know the readings, which I know is probably not helping, however, I only use spring water in her tank and keep it at 75 degrees. I also use Tetra water conditioner every time I do a water change. I've had her for 5 months and this has just started.

If they are snails, how did they get in my tank?

The pictures are really doing no justice because you can't really see them.

43.jpg

45.jpg

^^^You can barely see one on this leaf.

48.jpg

49.jpg

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello AESmith and Welcome to Fish Lore,

It does sound like they could be baby snails. Do they move? Possibly Sugar may have laid eggs?

Sugar sure is beautiful. Here is a link to GoldFish Care that you may find helpful:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/goldfish-care-sheet.167762/

I'm glad that she is doing well. Something that you may want to consider is a larger home for her. She would probably love your for it!

Best wishes and please keep us posted. Hold on for more responses.

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm just guessing here but could they be eggs? Another member had a Molly drop yellow spheres the other night which were eggs. I don't know enough about goldfish reproduction but it's just a thought.

Do you really have your goldfish in a 2.5g tank like your profile says?

-Lisa

OP
A

aesmith1992

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the replies everyone!

For the snail factor: I have not saw them moving. If they are snails, what should I do?

Egg factor: She's the only fish I have, it's possible for her to lay eggs?

& Yes, I do have her in a 2.5 gallon tank. I know its bad and I'm not making excuses but the fish I had before her were a lot smaller. I should get her a bigger tank, yes. What size would anyone recommend?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning

Yes, it is a possibility for a female to lay eggs and be the only one in the tank. However, for goldfish the eggs want be viable).

If you have the means and space to upgrade her to a larger tank it would be a good idea. Smaller tanks are harder to maintain a good cycle and with Sugar being a large waste producer, it may be very difficult for you to maintain her tank in good condition without daily water changes. Even with daily water changes, the issues of the fish becoming stunted come into play. A home that is too small can damage the fish, stress the fish as it's trying to grow in limited space.

I would recommend at least a 20g to a 29g. If you went to a 29g you could possibly even get her a buddy. You could use the 2.5g tank for a quarantine tank for the new fish then transfer it over after a few weeks. I suggest that you get the new tank first, get it cycled then get another goldie should you decide to go this route. (just a thought)

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm assuming they can lay eggs without a male since other fish do.

If they're snails you can either leave them to see what kind of snails they are or try to clean them all out before they mature. But I'm not sure they could be snails if you haven't introduced anything new into the tank recently.

A 20g would be a good size for one fancy goldfish. Until you can upgrade, the best way to keep her healthy is frequent water changes, at least twice a week and probably around 50%. Goldfish are essentially pretty poop machines.

-Lisa

OP
A

aesmith1992

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, she is a poop machine, haha

But I keep her tank as clean as possible. Any one who knows me and Sugar would tell you I treat her like royalty But, she's my girl.

My boyfriend even suggested that maybe I'm feeding her too much and its Algae growing on food particles.

Is this a possibility?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When there is ammonia on something a white fuzzy stuff appears on that item, so it could be ammonia on food which hasnt been eaten.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be mold on the food if you feed her pellets. I've found little spheres of fuzz that had previously been green peas my fish had missed (and so had I ).

How much do you feed her?

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sugar only needs to be fed once a day and only a couple of bites. Keep in mind that for most fish for the aquarium hobby, the stomach is only as large as one of the eyes. Feed sparingly.

It doesn't sound like an algae issue to me. Although I can't say for certain. Most algae is green, brown or white. Do you vacuum your substrate? You don't want to leave decaying food on the bottom of your tank. It can lead to other issues like Planaria worms, ammonia poisoning.

Ken

OP
A

aesmith1992

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PlatyBen: There isn't anything fuzzy or white.

& I do feed her pellets. I feed her morning and night. Around 5-6 pellets each time. the size of the 2 dots together are how big a pellet is. |..|

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feel badly AE....We're here to help and give all the information that we can. Don't let it all overwhelm you Many of us have started out in the hobby the same way.

Something that would be a great help to you is an API (liquid) Master Test Kit). I see that you are aware of the nitrogen cycle. (but I'll post a link to it anyway). This kit will test for everything mentioned in the link:
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol there's been a ton of replies round here since I left!!
Great info above from everyone. If they are snails, then they can come in on any live plants, that's how I got mine . They will stay as white spots for a few days, and develop into little snails eventually, so at the moment they would not move, but this is the time I remove them (got 2 of them this morning in one of my betta tanks!)

Could be eggs from Sugar, but I honestly know nothing about goldfish, so could not comment on egg laying as such. I know more about livebearers like guppies, mollies and platies, no eggs to worry about!

OP
A

aesmith1992

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah the snails are a possibility but the plant is plastic so I'm not sure then.

I need to get a bigger tank and just start all over, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom