small yellow labs laying on side at bottom help please

delta5
So I prep to do a water change like I always do. Here are the things I did differently.

1. I coiled the clean water line from my rodI in a bucket with hot water running over the line. The line exits the bucket and ends at the bucket I use to pour water into the tank. Could this harden black 1/4 irrigation line give off toxic chems from being heated?

2. Their tank is kept at 84f to speed along growth, but for some reason I thought 80F. So the water from the bucket was at 79F. Could this just be shock and they may recover?

Out of precaution I dosed the tank with x2 prime, turned off the light, and covered the tank to keep it dark. IDK if prime will help but I figured it couldn't hurt.

delta5
From further research, I think I poisoned them because the 1/4 line is made from pvc. So I think I heated the water in the line to much and it leaked whatever into the water. Goodbye 30 fishies.......

Anders247
Sorry.

delta5

Do you think it was toxins from PVC or being a 5 degree temp difference? Btw the babies the mother spit before are deAd but the few after she spotted after Are alive

Anders247
Not sure.....

MtnTiger
Unless the pvc pipe was used and had some residue on it no reason for it to be the problem.

delta5
Unless the pvc pipe was used and had some residue on it no reason for it to be the problem.

I guess it was the shock of the new water being 5-6f lower than the tank's. Most are dead, a few are looking iffy, and two seem fine. I might have poured the water in to fast as well. First time I gave them a greater than 50% water change as I usually change 10% per day.

MtnTiger
Sorry for your loss.

delta5
Sorry for your loss.

Thank you. This loss has pushed me to finally order new filters for my rodI unit, current ones are 4-5 months old. Will test the output from the carbon one to see if chlorine could be the cause. Even tho I think it is way overpriced, I ordered a check valve for the dI unit's clean output from amazon for 12.99.

TikiBird
Sorry for your losses

LeoDiaz
I don't think temp killed them my fish have seen temp swings of 10 degrees and they don't even mind some even go into breeding mode for some reason. there something else that killeds them.

delta5
I don't think temp killed them my fish have seen temp swings of 10 degrees and they don't even mind some even go into breeding mode for some reason. there something else that killeds them.

Right now i'm down to these possibilities;

1. Poured water in to fast
2. chlorine (will know later today when wife gets home with test kit)
3. Something to do with using scalding hot water to heat the rodI water in the tubing.
4. 75% water change with adding the seachem chemicals in immediately after adding rodI water. (Lake MalawI buffer, cichlid salt)

Its sad because they were growing nicely and healthy. I did notice on the dead ones that most of them had the dark coloration around their belly. Reminded me of the coloration of someone's face that just drowned.

LeoDiaz
Right now i'm down to these possibilities;

1. Poured water in to fast
2. chlorine (will know later today when wife gets home with test kit)
3. Something to do with using scalding hot water to heat the rodI water in the tubing.
4. 75% water change with adding the seachem chemicals in immediately after adding rodI water. (Lake MalawI buffer, cichlid salt)

Its sad because they were growing nicely and healthy. I did notice on the dead ones that most of them had the dark coloration around their belly. Reminded me of the coloration of someone's face that just drowned.
1 is out cause I pour water from hose to my fish and get poured in fast. why do u use rodI water wats wrong with ur tap water? could it have been a parasite or malawI bloat?

delta5
1 is out cause I pour water from hose to my fish and get poured in fast. why do u use rodI water wats wrong with ur tap water? could it have been a parasite or malawI bloat?

Just tested the water coming from the ro's waste and there is no chlorine. I don't think so because they were happy healthy, no visual signs of bloating, and they died within 30 minutes of the water change.

So maybe the brief Ph swing? I usually mix the chems in with the replacement water first, but added it pre-mixed in my blender after adding the water.

My tap water is 'perfect' for these fish. Reason i'm using rodI is because i'm 'anal' about the water condition. Plus the tap water creates visible buildup around the water level literally overnight. In the past when I used tap water I only got one spawn in the 8 months I had my 55g. Switching to rodI water I have had 7 spawns since February this year and I have 7 labs now verse the 11-13 I had with the 55g. Also I figured doing rodI for my labs would give me an idea if its something I want to do nearly everyday if I go saltwater.

Plus 'free' top-off water lol.

LeoDiaz
Just tested the water coming from the ro's waste and there is no chlorine. I don't think so because they were happy healthy, no visual signs of bloating, and they died within 30 minutes of the water change.

So maybe the brief Ph swing? I usually mix the chems in with the replacement water first, but added it pre-mixed in my blender after adding the water.

My tap water is 'perfect' for these fish. Reason i'm using rodI is because i'm 'anal' about the water condition. Plus the tap water creates visible buildup around the water level literally overnight. In the past when I used tap water I only got one spawn in the 8 months I had my 55g. Switching to rodI water I have had 7 spawns since February this year and I have 7 labs now verse the 11-13 I had with the 55g. Also I figured doing rodI for my labs would give me an idea if its something I want to do nearly everyday if I go saltwater.

Plus 'free' top-off water lol.
Maybe a ph swing have u tested ur other parameters

delta5
Maybe a ph swing have u tested ur other parameters

Yeah, everything is good. From RODI - 0-0-0-5.3ph
Tank before water change - 0-0-<5-8.2ph

It prob was the ph swing. (but the mother lab was fine) I guess I can write this as a lesson not to skip steps out of convenience.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Millerific
Replies
Views
DirtyEw0k
Replies
Views