Small White Wriggly Worms

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ramkumar, Jun 15, 2018.

1. R

Ramkumar New Member Member

Hi,
    I see small white wriggly worms (less than a cm) in my aquarium when I was changing water and disturbed the substrate a little. I never vaccum or disturb the substrate due to fear of disturbing the bacterial colony or the eco system but during water change it accidentally disturbed the substrate and noticed these small worms. Are they detrimental to the aquarium? Should I need to do something about it?

Thank you,

regards,
    Ram

Attached Files:

2. Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

Might be detritus worms, but I’m no expert! This should be its own sub forum lol

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hubby thinks detritus worms too. Mine turn pink cause my guppies don’t eat the pink flakes. The corys love when I deep clean my gravel. Feeding time at the zoo!

4. OP
    OP
    R

Ramkumar New Member Member

Thanks a lot, nothing to be worried about then.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

The detritus worms themselves are harmless...fish can even eat them. But you really should vacuum the bottom of your tank each time you do a water change. Normal bacteria needed for cycling won't all be carried away, but the build up of detritus can lead to fungal or mold problems down the road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice