Small white worms....

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so i have no clue where to put this thread as is it isn't a disease but there are small white worm looking things in my tank. are they harmful or what. could it be from over feeding and will they be gone soon because there are ALOT of them my betta and snails seem to be unaffected

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i actually think my little girl is eating the bigger specimens.. ugh

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that is what i was thinking are there any tricks to getting rid of these things?

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
man my little betta loves eating these worms.

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
would cleaning the filter and removing the substrate and adding new substrate clean them all out? i realize they are harmless but this will give me a chance to remodel the tank if that is what it takes

throwthesand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You should vacuum the gravel and do a 50% water change if it is planaria. You can also set out a bait like meat or something then remove it after the tank lights go out, it will be covered and worms. Just do that til they all vanish. You can also do some more research, I hear that dog dewormer helps but I'm not sure...

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know, rather than doing back to back posts, you can hit the edit button to add to your post.

Planaria are a result of over feeding. They are harmless and fish will eat them. So if you feed less they will 1) starve out due to there being no excess food in the tank for them, and 2) be eaten by your betta until there are none left.

Betta really do not need much food and when you over feed a Betta it can lead to constipation & death.

kellyiswicked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was under the impression there were two types of worm, planaria and detritus. Planaria are potentially harmful and found on the sides of the glass. Detritus are normal and harmless and free swimming. I would research this before doing anything drastic. I was a little upset when I learned worms might always be in my tank (eww!) but if it's harmless you can just feed less and turkey vaster them out as needed. Plus your betta will eat them. If it's planaria, you might need to take other steps. Again, please look into this difference. I could be completely wrong, so it's all just suggestions!

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
naw kelly it is 100% sure to be planaria there are some on the walls of the tank and some being pushed around by the filter. i will probably do gravel vacs once daily as well as a 50% water change. i am wondering if the Mystery snails will outlive the planaria if i starve them out because if i feed my snails the planaria will eat what they eat >.>. i did a vac and already noticed a decent reduction in planaria, brief update my betta is gonna get fat off these worms

Last edited:

Colorado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a ton in my shrimp tank recently--from over feeding I'm sure. I did large water changes for several days, vacuumed the heck out of the gravel, and cut back feeding dramatically. They're mostly gone and I think the rest will go as long as I continue to be more careful with feeding. Shrimp, too, and nerite all seem fine.

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i noticed my mystery snails sliding along the wall devouring them. it is like a tank group effort to rid ourselves of this pest hahah

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
every night before i turn the lights off it seems like they are almost all gone. then 30minutes later i flip the light back on and there they are again. there playing head games with me :/

Musey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they are tiny white wiggly worms on the bottom substrate of your tank then they are probably Detritus Worms. They are not harmful and fish like to eat them... but they are an indication of possible over feeding. Do a few water changes over the next week and make sure to vacuum the substrate each time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
they pretty much get thrown around by the current and are on the walls of the aquarium you don't see any on the substrate

Musey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Detritus Worms will also climb the glass. If you have fairly strong current in your tank then I can easily see them getting tossed around the tank too.

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
P1140381.JPG i call it the disappearing cloud because it comes at night and dwindles during the day lol

crackedback

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Detritus worms are hairlike....remove some gravel and do deeper cleanings....if your tank allows get a couple of cory cats..they love snacking on them.....every tank has them...

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
planaria tend to look a bit flat. Of course, you have to look really close to recognize the shape LOL

If these are tiny little round wigglers.... then chances are they are nemotodes, or round worms. Detrius. And yes, they are technically harmless. They live off of things in the water column. That being said, I agree with all of the above. Give em less to live on, and they should die down..... or get eatn until there are no more.

Of course there are other types of 'worms' that are harmful. But they are a different shape and would have attached to your fish. So it doesn't sound like its that.

edit: sorry, just noticed this thread is from a bit ago. hope all is well!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom