Small white worms, hydra, and white stuff in ~6g tank

1. rawrmobile Initiate Member

I have a ~6g planted tank that I've had set up for a few weeks that's already cycled (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrates). I'm waiting for my order of red cherry shrimp to come in so nothing is in there besides a pond snail and it's spawn.

I have an algae problem and a lot of snail poop, as well as small white worms and one hydra I've found so far. I don't have pictures of the hydra because I accidentally smashed it against the side of the tank before I could take a picture, but I have studied hydra and can identify it with certainty.

IMG_3219.jpg IMG_3220.jpg

I usually leave the light on for about 10 hours each day, which probably contributed to my algae problem. The reason for doing so is because I have java moss in the tank which isn't doing so well and mostly looks brownish, so I thought more light would fix the issue. Apparently it didn't.

I've also noticed that there's a white substance in my sand substrate that looks fuzzy and reappears each time I stir up the substrate. Can anyone help identify it? You can also see how well my java moss is doing in the picture.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 9.14.46 PM.png

What can I do to get rid of the worms, hydra, white stuff and algae? This is my first tank ever and I'm worried!

Attached Files:

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would suggest using the dog dewormer fendbendazole. I would do it now before you have anything in your tank. The worms are probably planaria of some sort. Here is a link to an article from planetinverts.com ( a great place for shrimp keeping info)...

http://planetinverts.com/killing_planaria_and_hydra.html

They have a lot of good articles on the right side of their home page that I would suggest you read if this is your first tank, especially with shrimp.

Also here is a link to an article I wrote here on fishlore about getting started with freshwater shrimp like RCS....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html

As for algae, I would imagine your light is either too bright or on low long. Try lowering the amount of on time by a few hours. You could also use some Flourish Excel, which is a liquid CO2 substitute and also an algaecide. You could use a double or triple dose before you get any shrimp in the tank, or use the syringe method and squirt a small dose directly onto problem algae spots. But it looks like you have a lot of algae spread through the tank, so the whole tank treatment would help.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore! Looks like you got some good advice from Dolfan.

4. rawrmobile Initiate Member

Thank you so much! I'll be ordering some fendbendazole today!

I've turned off the lights for now so hopefully the algae will clear up.