Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What is the water volume of the tank? 20g
How long has the tank been running? 5 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? Two male bettas (separated with a divider) 4 thorn nerite snails, a few pond snails

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water, the tank is planted and the carpet plants are just starting to spread

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? Depends on the type of food: 3 or 4 soaked pellets, a small chunk of repashy given in bite sized bits, a few frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms, a dozen or so live daphina
What brand of food do you feed your fish? I have a lot, but the 'staples' are omega one, bug bites, NLS, hikari, and repashy
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen, Hikari brand mostly

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? He has a small white thing stuck to his skin behind his eye
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He didn't look it, but I had to treat for internal parasites about a month ago, used General Cure after finding him bloated with white feces. No new tank mates (his neighbor seems fine) so he might have already had them
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Emergency might be pushing it, but I noticed this small white thing stuck to my black bodied betta's face when his lights came on this afternoon. It moves a little as he swims around, so I know it's not just a mark on his scales. It sort of looks like a dot with a weak tail, but I had to use my phone's camera to see it well enough to tell, my naked eye just registered a white thing that was moving a little. I don't think it's moving under it's own power, though. The only thing I can find online that comes close to what it looks like is anchor worms, but it's so small and I don't see the branched ends they're supposed to have.

I've gone back and forth between thinking it's nothing and shopping for all of the parasite meds. I put them through a round of meds a few weeks ago (see above), so I don't want to do it again unless it's really needed. I don't want to overreact over something so small, but if it's problem I'd like to nip it in the bud. His neighbor is bight white, so if he had the same issue it would be really hard to tell. I'm going to add pictures which will hopefully help with an ID. He's a difficult fish to photograph though, so quality of them is iffy. Is it a parasite? Is it maybe just his slime coat? If so, is that a sign of something else wrong?
Crowley.jpg
Crowley face.jpg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Sputnik

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can you give us a zoomed in picture?