Small white bump on lower lip of 1 Bloodfin Tetra

guyfromfl

I have 9 Bloodfin Tetra in my 20G Long Planted Aquarium. Today I noticed a small white thing/bump on the bottom lip on just one of the Tetra. It still seems healthy, eats fine and doesn't act any different than the others. Anyone have any ideas on what it is? I did some research trying to find out and the only thing that kind of makes sense is mouth fungus. To me, the white bump looks "solid" in a way, like the whitehead of a pimple. Any help would be appreciated!

Tank is 3 months old. First 2 months I did the dry start method then filled it up and let chill for a couple weeks before buying 6 blue shrimp and a nerite snail. Waited another week before going up to the store for the Tetras. The Tetra have been in the tank since last weekend. Water Parameters are good and I keep up with my water changes and cleaning as needed.
Screenshot (41).png

Corydork

I’ve no idea what it is, but I’ve seen that on some of my Rasboras and tetras as well. I thought it was normal, but now you have me wondering.

guyfromfl

I’ve no idea what it is, but I’ve seen that on some of my Rasboras and tetras as well. I thought it was normal, but now you have be wondering.
I'd say It's definitely not normal but it may also be something we don't need to worry about. That's what i'm here to figure out! =)

Bigwhite

Mine has the same thing had it for about 8 months is doing just fine.

guyfromfl

So I guess I shouldn't worry about it unless it really becomes a problem for that particular fish or its tank mates?

MacZ

Keep an eye on it. IF it becomes fuzzy and grows you should do something about it. If nothing happens for weeks and weeks and months, it should be fine.

guyfromfl

Keep an eye on it. IF it becomes fuzzy and grows you should do something about it. If nothing happens for weeks and weeks and months, it should be fine.
Will do, thank you!

eirynne

A few of my dwarf rainbowfish have this as well & I wasn't able to determine what it was when I tried to look it up.
I'm glad there isn't an immediately poor diagnosis & will just have to keep an eye on it as well. They've had it since I got them Oct 1st and they are still eating / acting normal.

guyfromfl

Update: Today I noticed that the fish with the white bump is now picking at the substrate, almost like he's trying to eat something off of it(Or rub the thing off his lip?). He won't let any other fish come around his spot, he chases them away then continues to go back and pick at this one specific spot. He literally goes almost perpendicular, ass up head down, picking into the substrate. None of the other fish are doing this, might I add. At this point I also noticed that all the fish were pretty lively and could eat so I threw some flake food in and everyone went to town besides the other tetra who kept on picking into the substrate. Not sure what to think. What do I do? Or do I continue to do nothing?

Attachments

• fishy1.jpg
    fishy1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 108
  • fishy2.jpg
    fishy2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 109

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mommameerkat
Replies