Small White Bacteria Like Stuff In My Tank?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Somthingfishy01, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Somthingfishy01

Somthingfishy01Valued MemberMember

Hi, I just noticed that there are small white algae like stuff inside the tank, its on the side of the glasses and if you look closely they appear to be moving, what is that stuff? it wasn't there yesterday, tank parameters are normal, please help

2. Ronniethewitch

RonniethewitchValued MemberMember

Can you post a pic?

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

sounds like detritus worms. how new is the tank and what is your feeding and maint. schedule. What size tank and what is in there?

4. OP
    OP
    Somthingfishy01

Somthingfishy01Valued MemberMember

The tank's over a month old, 20 gallon tank with 7 guppies, I feed them twice a day, weekly once bloodworms, rest of the time are flakes. I looked up detrius worms...it looks precisely like that, is it bad for the fish?

5. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I don't think the detritus worms are bad for the fish, in fact the fish will probably eat some of the worms, but it would be an indication that you are not cleaning your gravel well enough and possibly over feeding. I would recommend you just be a little more robust with your gravel vacuuming and the worms should eventually disappear.

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Exactly what I would suggest as well. They are harmless

7. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

We all overfeed as we don't realise how little our fish actually need.

Plus, we need to ensure the weakest fish get some food too.

But to ensure we aren't feeding these other critters we need to overfeed as little as possible.

Feeding requirements range from a Neon Tetra that needs half a flake per day to a small Goldfish that needs 4 flakes per day.