Small Tank + Stock For College

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Well Known Member Member

Hi,

My sister is off to college and was hoping to have a small tank with low maintenance for her dorm room. Any idea on how small a tank we could get for just 2-3 guppies? would a 5G be the minimum? or larger...? Or any other ideas, she doesn't want a Betta because she thinks of them as evil fish. Any small easy fish + tank suggestions would be awesome.

2. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

3. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Could do 3 or 4 endlers in a 5.

4. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

5. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

I support the shrimp idea also the dwarf puffer. either of those two are very entertaining and both have a lot of personality.

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

A dwarf puffer would be a neat idea, they are very smart fish.

7. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Aren't Dwarf Puffers rather sensitive fish with a reputation for being difficult to get to eat? I'm not sure if they're appropriate for a college environment where she may be busy and forget to do water changes, or find it equally difficult to find time to track down live food for them, or have the tank in a place where a party could break out and somebody might think it funny to pour a little beer in the tank. It's too bad she doesn't like Bettas, as, evil or not, they're about the only fish I'd say was tough enough for a college dorm room.

8. Kenny777

You could also do African Dwarf Frogs

9. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

They will never eat dry food like flakes but they will enjoy bloodworms and snails specially. If you get a 10 gal and plant it really well (which you always should!) you should be able to skip some watee changes altough preferably you wouldnt. Water changes on small tanks like those can be done in a breeze and if your buddies enjoy the idea of throwing beer into a fish tank I think no fish will be safe!

Dwar puffers are not the easiest fish on planet earth but with some patience I think the OP can pull it off.

10. r

rhone New Member Member

I have had a 5 gallon (the fluval edge or something like that) up and running for a little more than 3 years. I'm actually just starting on this site because I'm setting up a 20long, but here's my thoughts as I read your question, informed in particular by my common desire for "easy" that you reference:

1. I found the 5G very limiting, and it seems that there are significantly more possibilities with a 10G, so I wouldn't have even started with 5 if I could do it over again. But if you do stick with 5 because you need the small footprint, I'd stay with a max of just 1-3 fish as you suggest, because things can escalate quickly for the worse in that tank.
    2. Over time, I found that neon tetras do best (for me) in that tank. Typically no more than 3. They've proven over and over for my circumstances to be heartier than guppies, and when I've had 2-3 guppies, they've taken each other out. Right now I have 1 neon tetra, who has lived by himself for more than a year.

11. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Tetra are schooling fish. You shouldn't be keeping just one or even just 3.

12. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Would a Platy or Molly be cramped in there? And would Guppy not work? I just want to make sure I give my sister all possible options. Thanks everyone :)

13. Kenny777

Mollies and Platys will not work.

14. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Thanks. But a guppy or 2 would?

15. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

16. FIghtingj

FIghtingj Valued Member Member

I agree with the post that said ADFs. 2 can fit in a 5 gal, and they are SO cute!

17. Kenny777

You should be able to do that I dont see why not. But it is way better to have a colony of them. Only 1 isn't that fun to watch but a whole colony is entertaining. You could do 1 but that's the limit.

18. Kenny777

What are you exactly looking for color? Entertainment? Unique? Easy to care for?

19. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

I think ideally something easy to care for but small that will still be cool to look at. Doesn't have to be crazy active or anything idt she's looking for something to sit and watch all day but just something to have in her room

20. Kenny777

The shrimp and snail idea would be the best because they are easy to care for and are not picky feeders they will be entertaining to watch and watch them climb everywhere. Or the betta idea.